We aim to investigate reports of abandoned vehicles within three working days. Our aim is to remove a vehicle as soon as we can confirm that it has been abandoned.
We are unable to investigate vehicles if:
- They are taxed and in working condition. You can check below to see if the vehicle is taxed.
- They have been on private land for less than two months.
- They have been on public land or the highway for less than a month (unless the vehicle is damaged.
How to report an abandoned vehicle
You can also telephone 01256 844844, giving the following details:
- Registration number, make and model
- Location (street name and nearest house number, or other landmark)
- How long the vehicle has been there
Any information about who abandoned the vehicle would also be very welcome.
Please note that vehicles subject to arson are scenes of crime, and should be reported to the police.
Check if a vehicle is taxed
As vehicle tax discs are no longer required, you can check whether a vehicle is taxed online:
Report an untaxed vehicle
You can report an untaxed vehicle that you’ve seen on a public road anonymously to the DVLA:
You will need to include the:
- vehicle registration number
- make, model and colour of the vehicle
- street name, town and postcode where the vehicle is parked
You won't be able to report the vehicle without these details.