Under the provisions of the Notification of Cooling Towers and Evaporative Condensers Regulations 1992, which came into force on 2nd November 1992, it is the duty of each person who has control of premises to ensure that no “notifiable device” is situated on those premises unless the local authority in whose area the premises are situated has been notified in writing.
The prime purpose of this is to identify potential areas that could give rise to spread of infectious disease e.g. legionella and to ensure preventative measures are taken to eliminate the risk of such infection arising to employees and the public.
A “notifiable device" means a cooling tower or an evaporative condenser except;
- where it contains no water that is exposed to air; and
- where its water supply is not connected; and
- where its electrical supply is not connected
If you control non-domestic premises you must ensure that you notify the council of any cooling tower or evaporative condenser (notifiable devices) on the premises. Notification must be in writing (including by electronic means).You must also notify the council in writing of any changes to the notification information within one month of the change or if the device ceases to be a notifiable device.
Information to be notified to us is:
- The address of the premises where the notifiable device is to be situated.
- The name, address and telephone number of a person who has, to any extent, control of the premises referred to in paragraph 1 above.
- The number of notifiable devices at the premises referred to in paragraph 1 above.
- The location on the premises of each notifiable device referred to in paragraph 3 above.
Will Tacit Consent Apply?
Tacit Consent applies to this application. This means that you will be able to act as though your notification has been received if you have not heard from the local authority by the end of the target completion period which 10 working days.
Notify us online
Notify us of any cooling towers or evaporative condensers on your premises
If you prefer to notify us of installation of new equipment, or a change to existing equipment in writing, please complete the form below and send it to us at: The Environmental Health Team, Basingstoke and Deane Borough Council, Civic Offices, London Road, Basingstoke RG21 4AH. Alternatively you can contact us for more advice by email at firstname.lastname@example.org or by telephone on 01256 844844.