We need your help!
Please report sightings of foxes, hares or other mammals
We would like anyone who uses Old Down to let us know if they see a hare or a fox or even other mammals. If you do, please let us know the day(s) and time(s) and the approximate location(s). Please email email@example.com or leave a message on 01256 475944. Given the number of rabbits on the site it would be interesting to know if foxes are coming there to feed on them. We can add any information you provide to our database of records about animals visiting the site.
Help with recording insects
If there is anyone who could help us to identify and record insects on Old Down or knows of someone who might be able to help us then could you please contact firstname.lastname@example.org or leave a message on 01256 475944.
Other things that have been happening
The Recording Group joined the British Trust for Ornithology programme which is collecting bird reports from all over the country and submitted its first report during December. This will be an ongoing programme throughout the year. We will also be trying to record butterflies, mammals and flowers. If you would like to learn with us or help with recording then please contact us for a chat as we are all learning about these things!
The Group applied for and has been awarded £450 from the Chestnut Fund administered by the British Trust for Conservation Volunteers. That has helped pay for Insurance and some tools that we have now acquired. Another Grant from Basingstoke & Deane for £2,000 has recently been awarded and we plan to use that to help us with our practical and educational activities.
Additionally the group have...
- Removed large numbers of tree guards and begun to reduce Ragwort
- Implemented wildflower reseeding trials to test different techniques for regenerating wildflower rich grassland
- Trialled plug planting of primroses, wood anemones and other species
- Established a baseline record of wildflowers and birds already on the site
- Managed Corporate events enabling employees to contribute to our wildlife improvement programme
- Initiated the first stage in what is hoped will become an annual grass cutting and clearing regime
- Organised Open Days and developed display and presentational materials to raise community interest in wildlife
- Trialled mammal trapping to test what kinds of small mammal and numbers are using the site
Walks on Old Down or a Presentation to a Community Group? - We have been putting together some notes to enable us to lead walks around Old Down that explains a little about its past and why it has potential for much greater interest. We have also prepared displays and a presentation that we can take to Schools and Community Groups.
If you know of a group that would like to walk around Old Down and learn more about it and what we plan, or a group that would enjoy a presentation then please contact Paul Beevers at email@example.com or on 01256 475944.
For details of how to find us, see the map below.