Basing House lies just to the east of the train station. This 10-acre site features the ruins of England’s largest Tudor residence, which was home to William Paulet, the 1st Marquis of Winchester. Serving as a Royalist stronghold during the English Civil War, the house and its inhabitants held out against a lengthy siege, until the Parliamentarians razed the house to the ground in October 1645. The site is internationally renowned and the remains of the various buildings, which continue to be excavated, provide a rich educational resource.
After a successful Heritage Lottery Fund award, the site has recently been renovated. For further details see http://www3.hants.gov.uk/museum/basing-house or contact 0845 603 5635.
Basing House Visitor Centre, Basing Grange, The Street, Old Basing, Basingstoke, Hampshire