Do I need planning permission?

This depends on what you want to do. Some minor alterations and extensions, particularly to houses, can often be carried out without the need for planning permission. This is known as permitted development.

Further specific details about permitted development can be found on the Planning Portal website.

However, there are different restrictions to Basingstoke Town, Fairfields, Brookvale and South View conservation areas which are covered by Article 4 directions.

If you are uncertain if planning permission is required and you wish to have confirmation in writing, you should email the council at giving sufficient information on the development proposed. A charge of £46.93 will be required.

Please visit the Submit an application online webpage if you know that you will require planning permission for your proposed works.

Change of use and business developments

If you want to change the use of a building or land you may need planning permission. There are developments which are permitted and some which need permission.

Planning permission is not usually needed when both the existing and proposed new uses fall within the same 'Use Class'. It is also possible to change uses between some classes without making an application. It is advisable to contact the Development Control Team in writing to confirm whether or not you need to submit a planning application, and if so, your chances of getting permission.

Most alterations to business premises do need planning permission, including:

  • all shop and office extensions
  • alterations to shop fronts
  • external security shutters or grilles

More information can be found in the government's publication Planning permission: a guide for business. If you need planning permission then please see our pages Before you make a planning application for further information.

You may also want to contact the council through the Borough Business Partnership which helps business understand all regulatory systems that the council operate.

Renewable energy

Renewable energy comes from resources such as the sun, wind, water and plant material.

There are many renewable energy technologies available which can harness these resources, to provide hot water for heating and washing and also to provide electricity. These include:

  • solar photovoltaic panels
  • solar water heating
  • ground source heat pumps
  • biomass stoves or boilers
  • wind turbines

The installation of small scale microgeneration equipment can be made without planning permission. Please visit out webpage on renewable energy to find out more.

For further information and guidance, please visit the Energy Saving Trust website.

Agricultural proposals

Agricultural operations or the use of existing buildings on agricultural land for agricultural purposes will not need planning permission. Permitted development exists for certain developments and you should seek advice from us before undertaking works.

More information can be found through the government's publication A farmer's guide to the planning system.

Outdoor advertisements and signs

More information on the need for consent is available through the Communities and Local Government booklet Outdoor advertisements and signs: a guide for advertisers. This information is aimed at explaining to anyone who wants to display an outdoor advertisement how the system of advertisement control works in England. This guide has been revised to take account of the provisions of the Town and Country Planning (Control of Advertisements)(England) Regulations 2007.

Planning Portal

Further information on planning is provided on the Planning Portal website . The guide is intended for both householders and business people. It explains, in general terms, why planning controls are necessary and how decisions are made.


Help us improve this website

Send us your feedback about this page.
Please answer the question below:
© 2014 Basingstoke & Deane Borough Council