The historic environment of Basingstoke and Deane
The borough of Basingstoke and Deane has a wealth of architectural heritage with:
- over 1800 listed buildings
- more than 40 conservation areas
- nearly 600 locally listed buildings
- 97 registered historic parks and gardens, of which 10 are listed by English Heritage.
These historic buildings, areas and landscapes provide valuable evidence of our social and economic history.
The Conservation team is responsible for a wide range of key functions including:
- processing Listed Building Consent applications
- producing Conservation Area Appraisals
- providing supplementary planning guidance
- dealing with pre-application enquiries
- providing specialist guidance and information on the repair of historic buildings
- working to secure the restoration and retention of our buildings at risk
- raising the profile of the historic environment.
The archaeology and historic buildings record
The Archaeology and Historic Buildings Record (AHBR) is the Historic Environment Record for Hampshire. It is an index to the known archaeological sites and finds, historic buildings, designed and historic landscapes, parks and gardens, and industrial monuments in the county. For further information, visit Hampshire County Council's webpage on the Historic Environment.
Planning Development Team
Telephone: 01256 844844