Applying for a road closure or temporary traffic order

Temporary Traffic Regulation Orders (TTROs) can be arranged when it is necessary to temporarily control vehicular or pedestrian activities along a length of public highway.

Most commonly TTROs are road closures arranged on behalf of utility companies, developers or the highway authority; however they can also take the form of temporary speed limits, parking restrictions or one way orders.

Where the emergency services and highway authority give support, a road may also be closed in order to facilitate a social event such as a street party. In these cases, providing the criteria are met we can process the closure under the TOWN POLICE CLAUSES ACT 1847. For advice and details of how to apply for and run a successful street party, please contact the Events Officer by emailing or by phoning 01256 845676.

Road closures or TTROs for planned works

If you are unsure whether you need a road closure, please contact Hampshire County Council Highways and ask to speak to the Highways Inspector for the area in question. For example, you may only require a lane closure which could be managed by using temporary traffic signals. Hampshire County Council Highway Team can be contacted on 0300 555 1388 or email

Applying for a TTRO

If you wish to complete the form on screen, please select the ON SCREEN version of the application form from the bottom of this page and email your completed form directly to, ensuring you attach pdf copies of insurance certificate and plan(s). Alternatively, you may wish to save the completed form for submission at a later date.

To print a blank copy of the form for completion by hand, select the MANUAL version of the application form from the bottom of this page. Once you have completed the form please email it to marked for the attention of Engineering Services; or send by post to:

Engineering Services
Basingstoke and Deane Borough Council
Civic Offices
London Road
RG21 4AH

Please note that plans should be A4 or A3 size. They should clearly identify the affected section of highway and, if a road closure is required, the diversion route. Plans should be provided in a digital format (preferably .pdf). If a map background is used, the plans should show the appropriate Ordnance Survey license details.

Applications for a TTRO will not be progressed until appropriate plans are submitted. Please be aware that failure to provide the information requested within the application could result in delays.

Note: A minimum of six weeks notice is required to secure a TTRO.

Please also note that the county council (the Highway Authority) requires the application to hold Public Liability Insurance to the value of £10 million per claim. In completing and returning the application form you are confirming that the applicant has the necessary Public Liability Insurance; and that they agree to meet this council's costs associated with the proposed TTRO. These costs are as follows:

Work Cost
Technical and Legal costs associated with processing the proposed order and preparing the statutory notices £1,315
Advertisement costs associated with posting of statutory notice(s) in the local press up to £500 (this figure will vary depending on the size of the advert required within local press and is charged at cost to the applicant)

As the applicant, you will be responsible for the signage associated with any TTRO (ie the signing of road closure and the diversion route). You will also be responsible for the posting of statutory notices (supplied by this council) on site, both prior and for the duration of the TTRO. Please do not forget to remove any such notices once the Order is completed.

If you have any questions or wish to discuss your requirements prior to submitting an application, please do not hesitate to contact a member of the Engineering Services unit by email or telephone 01256 844844.

Road closures or TTROs for emergency works

In the event of an emergency it is possible to apply for a TTRO (for a duration of up to five days. Emergency notices cannot be for planned works, nor can they be processed in advance. They must only be used for works that arise suddenly and pose an immediate danger to the public. TTROs cannot be issued retrospectively.

The process and charges are identical to the standard temporary orders; hence, you are requested to complete the application form in accordance as above and email it with the required supporting documents to marked for the attention of Engineering Services. Where emergency works are required and it is necessary to close the Highway you are advised to notify Hampshire County Council's Highways Team on 0300 555 1388 or email

Contact details

Engineering Services team

Contact us

  • Contact us online
  • 01256 844844
  • Civic Offices
    London Road
    RG21 4AH
  • Opening hours
    Monday to Friday
    8.30am to 4.30pm