Beggarwood Park Improvements
Update: 17 March 2021
We are excited to let you know you that we have completed the latest phase of our major improvement project for Beggarwood Park.
Visitors to the popular neighbourhood facility and Local Nature Reserve can now enjoy a new children’s play area alongside landscaping, new benches, bins and better footpaths.
The £258,000 community improvement scheme which used developers’ contributions has been carried out, despite delays due to the COVID-19 restrictions, following last year’s public consultation.
Children, from toddlers up to age 12, will have a choice of 30 new fun facilities, including climbing frames, ropes, swings and toddler rides, in the extended play area.
A wild zone and an upgraded pump track circuit for BMX and mountain bikers, skateboarders, rollerbladers and scooter riders, are also set to open this year and we will keep you updated on progress for this phase of the work.
Further works are currently being undertaken, so please be aware of any construction work taking place at the BMX track and the old maze area and provide our construction team with a safe space to work in.
Please adhere with the Government’s COVID-19 guidance when visiting our parks and open spaces.
The pump track is currently under construction and our contractors are working onsite to install the upgrade to the existing track. The new pump track has a tarmac surface with a circuit of rollers, berms and jumps that loop back on themselves so that riders can keep on going. This will be opened soon, so please keeping checking for further updates. The images below show the progress.
Beggarwood Park consultation
In 2019 we carried out a consultation to get ideas for potential improvements in the park, with just over 200 people taking part.
The main points that were raised were:
- A need for improved accessibility in relation to pathways and play.
- Play – suggestions regarding the age range of play equipment, and requests for inclusive play equipment, fencing around the play area and improvements to the ball wall.
- A need for additional information about the park – signs and information boards, LNR status and what it means, educational information.
- More seating and bins needed.
- BMX Track – need for upgrading and expanding.
- Maze area – refurbishment, removal and replacement with something else.