Guidance and information on Brexit
This page helps residents and businesses to find useful information about Brexit and what it could mean for you if you live or work in Basingstoke and Deane.
Advice for residents
The EU Settlement Scheme
If you are a non-UK European Union citizen, you and your family are able to apply to continue living in the UK through the EU Settlement Scheme. Find out more information and sign up for updates on the scheme.
Find out about the application process and get support
Get help applying under the EU Settlement Scheme. You can also get digital help to use the EU Settlement Scheme online application form if you do not have access, skills or confidence to complete the form. In Basingstoke and Deane this service is available by appointment at Viables Community Centre. To arrange an appointment, please call We are Digital on 03333 445675.
Guidance for UK nationals living in the EU
Find out further information on the rights and status of UK nationals living in the European Union, European Economic Area (EEA) and European Free Trade Area (EFTA), and Switzerland by reading the Government's advice for UK nationals.
Guidance for EU citizens living in the UK
The UK government has reached an agreement with the EU that will protect the rights of EU citizens and their family members living in the UK. It has also reached an agreement with Norway, Iceland and Liechtenstein, and a separate agreement with Switzerland. Use the Government's guidance tool to find out what to do and when.
For further guidance, go to the government's detailed Brexit guidance page to find information on a wide range of topics, including:
- information for Erasmus students
- information on passports, foreign travel advice, pet travel and mobile roaming fees
- information on driving licences, vehicle insurance and flying to the EU
- information on workplace rights and working in the EU
Our community pages contain other useful information.
Advice for business and employers
The EU Settlement Scheme
The employer toolkit gives employers information to support EU citizens and families in applying under the scheme.
There are a number of websites providing advice and information to businesses about Brexit and preparing for Brexit. The following support for businesses is available.
- Support and advice for businesses locally, visit Enterprise M3 growth hub and the Hampshire Chamber of Commerce.
- The British Chamber of Commerce Brexit Hub , Federation of Small Businesses , the Confederation of British Industry, the Institute of Directors, Engineering Employers’ Federation and the National Farmers Union (NFU) also host advice for businesses.
- HMRC have published a Prepare your business for the UK leaving the EU tool to help UK businesses find out what they need to do to prepare for the UK leaving the EU, what's changing in their industry and information on specific rules and regulations.
- The Department for Business, Energy and Industrial Strategy has published What is BEIS doing to prepare businesses and a Business Readiness Website – prepare your business for EU exit which covers employment, imports and exports and operating in the EU.
- Our business webpages also provide news, advice and information for employers and businesses in the borough.
Citizens Advice offer free, independent, confidential and impartial advice to everyone, regardless of their circumstances or who they are. It values diversity, promotes equality and challenges discrimination.
Free advice is given on many subjects including employment, discrimination, benefits, tax credits, relationships, debt and housing.
For telephone advice please call: 03444 111 306 or Mobile 0300 3300 650.
You can also call into either office
- Citizens Advice Basingstoke
Address: located in Basingstoke Discovery Centre, Festival Place shopping Centre, 19-20 Westminster House, Basingstoke RG21 7LS
Website : www.basingstokeandtadleycab.org.uk
Opening hours : (Telephone service, drop-in and appointments)
Monday, Tuesday and Friday 10am to 3.30pm
Wednesday 10am to 6.30pm
Saturday 10am to 12noon
Thursday 10am to 3.30pm (Telephone service and pre-booked specialist appointments only).
- Citizens Advice Tadley
Address: Franklin Avenue, Tadley, Hampshire RG26 4ET
Monday 10am to 3.30pm
Tuesday 10am to 1pm
Wednesday 10am to 1pm
Thursday 10am to 3.30pm / evenings for appointments only
Friday 10am to 1pm
Find out more about our Brexit preparations at www.basingstoke.gov.uk/brexit-prepare