Guidance and information on Brexit
The United Kingdom is due to leave the European Union on Friday 29 March 2019 at 11pm, following the referendum in 2016. This page helps residents and businesses to find useful information about Brexit and what it could mean for you if you live or work in Basingstoke and Deane.
Advice for residents
The EU Settlement Scheme
If you are a non-UK European Union citizen, you and your family will be able to apply to continue living in the UK through the EU Settlement Scheme. Find out more information and sign up for updates on the scheme.
Find out about the application process and get support
Get help applying under the EU Settlement Scheme.
Guidance for UK nationals living in the EU
Find out further information on the rights and status of UK nationals living in the European Union, European Economic Area (EEA) and European Free Trade Area (EFTA), and Switzerland by reading the Government's advice for UK nationals.
Guidance for EU citizens living in the UK
The UK government has reached an agreement with the EU that will protect the rights of EU citizens and their family members living in the UK. It has also reached an agreement with Norway, Iceland and Liechtenstein, and a separate agreement with Switzerland. Use the Government's guidance tool to find out what to do and when.
You may also find the following guidance useful:
- Education, training and skills - includes information for Erasmus students
- Going and being abroad - includes information on passports, foreign travel advice, pet travel and mobile roaming fees
- Transport - includes information on driving licences, vehicle insurance and flying to the EU
- Work - includes information on workplace rights and working in the EU
- Our community webpages contain other useful information.
Advice for business and employers
The EU Settlement Scheme
The employer toolkit gives employers information to support EU citizens and families in applying under the scheme.
There are a number of websites providing advice and information to businesses about Brexit and preparing for Brexit. The following support for businesses is available.
- Support and advice for businesses locally, visit Enterprise M3 growth hub and the Hampshire Chamber of Commerce.
- The British Chamber of Commerce Brexit Hub , Federation of Small Businesses , the Confederation of British Industry, the Institute of Directors and the Engineering Employers’ Federation also host advice for businesses.
- HMRC have published a Prepare your business for the UK leaving the EU tool to help UK businesses find out what they need to do to prepare for the UK leaving the EU, what's changing in their industry and information on specific rules and regulations.
- The Department for Business, Energy and Industrial Strategy has published What is BEIS doing to prepare businesses and a Business Readiness Website – prepare your business for EU exit which covers employment, imports and exports and operating in the EU.
- Our business webpages also provide news, advice and information for employers and businesses in the borough.
We are planning a Brexit for business event in the borough, look out for more information on dates and times.
The Government has also published guidance on how to prepare if the UK leaves the EU with no deal.