Complaint guide

We have a simple two stage complaints process:

Stage one complaints

The first stage is called local resolution. At this stage we think those people who deliver the service are best placed to resolve a complaint. They will investigate your complaint and respond directly to you within 10 working days. If you would like to make a formal complaint there are several ways you can do this:

Make a complaint online


You can email your complaint to:


You can call our contact centre on 01256 844844, lines are open from Monday to Friday 8.30am to 4.30pm, except on bank holidays.

Using Text Relay call 18001 01256 844844

In writing

You can write to us at:

Civic Offices, London Road, Basingstoke RG21 4AH

We will let you know we have received your complaint within two working days

When making your complaint please tell us as much as you can about your problem, including:

  • what went wrong
  • when it happened
  • who you dealt with
  • how you would like the matter resolved.

Please also include full contact details - name, address, telephone, email

An officer will respond to your complaint within 10 working days.

Stage two complaints

If you do not think your complaint has been resolved at stage one, you have the right to ask the Head of Service whose contact details are on the stage one response to investigate the matter. The Head of Service will respond to your complaint within 10 working days.

Further information

Local Government Ombudsman

If you have been through all stages of our complaints procedure and are still unhappy, you can ask the Local Government and Social Care Ombudsman to review your complaint.

The Ombudsman investigates complaints in a fair and independent way - it does not take sides. It is a free service.

The Ombudsman expects you to have given us chance to deal with your complaint, before you contact them. If you have not heard from us within a reasonable time, The Ombudsman may decide to look into your complaint anyway. This can take up to 12 weeks.


Visit the Local Government and Social Care Ombudsman website

Telephone: 0300 061 0614

Opening hours - Monday to Friday: 10am to 4pm (except public holidays)

Exceptions to the complaints procedure

Some complaints are dealt with differently. These include:

Missed bins or glass boxes - before reporting a missed bin collection, have you checked your bin collection date and was your bin placed on the edge of your property by 7am on your collection day? If you still feel your bin was missed, please report it using our missed bin online form.

Food complaint - we will investigate if you buy food from a shop or have a meal at a restaurant and it contains something it shouldn't, for example a hair or piece of plastic or if you are concerned about hygiene standards in a food business.

Noise nuisance - we have powers to deal with statutory noise nuisances. To enable us to act, the noise must be coming from private land or property, or be generated by vehicles, machinery or equipment in the street.

High hedges - the correct hedge can be an ideal garden boundary and help to bring new wildlife in to your garden. The wrong hedge can cause problems such as subsidence and loss of light. We will only get involved after you have tried to find a solution, evidence of this will need to be in your application.

Services licensed by the council - we investigate complaints about licensable services as part of our public safety and animal welfare role. Some complaints will lead to formal action being taken by the council in the courts. You must be prepared to give evidence in court to support an investigation if it leads to formal action.

Taxi or private hire vehicle, driver or operator complaint - if you believe there has been an impact on public safety or a breach of the licensing requirements, we will investigate a taxi or private hire driver, vehicle or operator.

Complaints about councillor conduct

If you want to make a complaint about a Basingstoke and Deane Borough Councillor for breaching the Code of Conduct, you can find out how to do this, by visiting the Councillors Code of Conduct webpage.

Social housing or homeless applications

You are also free to contact the Local Government and Social Care Ombudsman on 0300 061 0614 if you are dissatisfied with any decision reached in regard to either your application for social housing or your application as homeless.

Contact us

  • Contact us online
  • 01256 844844
  • Civic Offices
    London Road
    RG21 4AH
  • Opening hours
    Monday to Friday
    8.30am to 4.30pm