Eat Out, Eat Well in Basingstoke and Deane
The Eat Out, Eat Well award has been developed to reward caterers who make it easier for their customers to make healthy choices when eating out. It has three levels - bronze, silver and gold, and is symbolised by an apple logo in the shape of a heart. The level of award is based on a scoring system that takes into account the type of food on offer, cooking methods, and how the meals are promoted to customers. This scheme benefits both caterers by promoting their businesses and customers by helping them make healthier choices when eating out.
The Eat Out, Eat Well award is assessed and managed in Basingstoke and Deane by the Environmental Health team at the council. If you are interested in achieving an Eat Out, Eat Well award, please contact the Environmental Health team.
The scheme is based on Eat Out, Eat Well Surrey, developed and managed by Surrey County Council Trading Standards.
How will the scheme benefit customers?
- Businesses will provide healthier options to customers, through the use of healthier catering practices, increasing fruit, vegetables, and starchy carbohydrates
- Decreased levels of fat, especially saturated fat, sugar and salt in food
- Provision of healthy options for children
- You can visit the award winning restaurants, pubs and cafes and find healthier meal options on the menus for you and your family
What's in it for businesses?
- You could make a huge contribution to improving your customers' diet and health by providing healthier food choices.
- You'll have public recognition for achieving the award and could enhance your image as a responsible business that puts its customers first.
- It could give you a competitive edge and increase customer satisfaction as the demand for healthier choices continue to grow - many manufacturers and retailers who have introduced healthier options are seeing growth in sales.
- Your customers will be able to benefit from the freedom to select a healthy option, giving them more control over what they choose to eat that will ultimately benefit their health.
- The scheme will equip your team with the knowledge and skills to provide healthier menu options in line with government healthy eating initiatives to reduce diet related disease and obesity.
- As well as an award certificate that you can proudly display in your premise, your establishment will be listed as an award winner on Basingstoke and Deane Borough Council's website and will also appear alongside your star rating on Food Hygiene Rating Scheme.
- You can also use the Eat Out, Eat Well logo in your advertising.
- "Low cost" accredited nutrition training courses are also planned for businesses and individuals interested in this scheme and to help your achieve the "gold" award.
Environmental Health team
If you have an enquiry about environmental health, send a message to the Environmental Health team