UK Parliamentary General Election - Thursday 12 December 2019
Following the vote in the House of Commons a UK Parliamentary General Election will be held on Thursday 12 December 2019.
The borough of Basingstoke and Deane is covered by three parliamentary constituencies:
- Basingstoke - administered by the Acting Returning Officer at Basingstoke and Deane Borough Council.
- North East Hampshire - administered by the Acting Returning Officer at Hart District Council. Important information can be found on Hart District Council's website
- North West Hampshire - administered by Acting Returning Officer at Test Valley Borough Council. Important information can be found on the Test Valley Council website
For more information on Parliamentary Constituencies, please visit www.parliament.uk
In order to vote in these elections, you need to be registered on the Register of Electors and you must be:
- resident in Basingstoke and Deane area on the date of the election;
- a British, Irish or Commonwealth citizen, or a British citizen living overseas for a period of 15 years or less;
- 18 years old or over.
If you are an eligible elector and you are already on the Register of Electors for Basingstoke and Deane, you do not need to re-register for these elections.
Find out how to register. The deadline for applying to register for voting in the Parliamentary General Election is Tuesday 26 November 2019.
Postal and Proxy voting
If you are unable to get to your polling station on 12 December 2019, there are different options available to you in order for you to cast your vote:
The deadline for applying to vote by post for this election is 5pm on Tuesday 26 November 2019.
- If you apply to vote by post before midday on 6 November 2019, your postal vote will be dispatched around Friday 22 November 2019.
- If you apply to vote by post after midday on 6 November, and before 5pm on 26 November 2019, your postal vote will be dispatched around Tuesday 3 December 2019.
All postal vote packs will dispatched first class.
Download a copy of the application form. Please note that you will need to print this form and complete it as a signature is required in order to fully complete the form.
The deadline for applying to vote by proxy is 5pm on Wednesday 4 December 2019. Please note that, when appointing someone to vote on your behalf, that person must be a registered elector who is eligible to vote at this election, and who is able to get to your polling station on 12 December. If they are not able to get to your polling station to cast your vote, they can apply to cast your proxy vote by post, but their application must reach us by the postal vote deadline of 5pm on Tuesday 26 November 2019.
Download a copy of the application form. Please note that you will need to print this form and complete it as a signature is required in order to complete the form.
Statement of Persons Nominated, Notice of Poll and Situation of Polling Stations
Candidates and Agents
A briefing for candidates and their election agents will be held at 5pm, Thursday 21 November 2019. The briefing will be held in the Council Chamber, Deanes, Civic Offices, London Road, Basingstoke RG21 4AH