Walking for Health is a national initiative - a partnership between the Ramblers Association and Macmillan Cancer Care - working towards encouraging physical activity for everyone.
We want to encourage people from all walks of life to come and enjoy our programme, especially those people who are doing very little or no exercise at present. The walk programme is a gentle way to begin to exercise. All walks are led by a trained walk leader and have a back marker, so no matter what your pace you can join in our friendly walks.
On this page
Adverse weather conditions
Due to adverse weather conditions that may occur on the day of the walk, the walk leaders have the overall decision to cancel the walk for health walk. If walkers are still wishing to go on the walk, they can at their own risk, but it will not be under walk for health.
Health benefits of walking
Walking has a number of health benefits. These include:
- providing a sense of wellbeing and lifting the spirits
- boosting the body’s immune system
- increasing the strength of your heart and lungs
- weight loss
- lowering blood pressure
- reducing the risk of strokes
- promoting mental well being through socialising with others.
Getting the most from health walks
Before taking part in one of the walks, please inform the walk leader of any health problems, check with your doctor that it is alright for you to take part. You will be asked to fill in a simple health form before your first walk so that the walk leader is aware of any health issues you may have. Please try to arrive 10 minutes early to allow time to complete this form.
Here are a few things to remember before coming along to one of our walks:
- the walks leave on time so arrive in plenty of time to park and register before the start of the walk
- the walk leader will advise of any hazards on the route, but you are responsible for your own health and safety
- wear suitable clothing for the weather
- in hot weather bring a drink of water
- walk at a pace which makes you feel a little out of breath but still able to talk easily
- if you are likely to need assistance on the walk, please bring a friend or carer with you
- the walk leader will set the pace for the group. The back marker will walk at the pace of the slowest walker
- please tell one of the leaders if you wish to leave the walk or feel unwell
- dogs are welcome on all of the walks, but they must be kept on the lead at all times and to stay near the back of the walking group to avoid any trips
- please sign out at the end of the walks.
If you have any questions, do not hesitate to contact the council by emailing firstname.lastname@example.org or by phoning 01256 845284.
Walkers own risk assessment
Risk assessments are carried out on the routes and every possible care is taken by the walk leaders to ensure you have a safe and enjoyable walk. Please listen to the walk leaders briefing at the start of the walk which will alert you to any hazards along the route.
When crossing roads please observe the Highway Code at all times, crossing at the safest point and keeping to the footpaths where possible. The walks are undertaken at your own risk.
Temporary weekly walks programme
To ensure that each walk is not over-subscribed, we are asking you to book a place on each walk using the form below.
If you haven't booked a place, you won't be able to join the walk.
If you book a place and find you can no longer attend, please email email@example.com to cancel your place
|Walk||Day||Start time||Walk information|
|Eastrop walk - meet at Eastrop Boat house
Walks 19 and 26 April 2021
|Monday||11am||This walk is for up to 14 walkers.|
|Aquadrome medium walk - meet outside the Aquadrome in the leisure park.
Walks available 14, 21 and 28 April 2021
|Wednesday||11am||This walk is for up to 14 walkers.|
|Evening walk - meet at Sainsbury car park in Kempshott
Walks 28 April and 5 May 2021
|7pm||This walk is for up to 14 walkers|
|Baughurst - meet outside the Baughurst Scout Hut
The Den, Ash Lane,
Baughurst RG26 5PW
This walk is now fully booked
|Thursday||10.30am||This walk is for up to 14 walkers.|
|Popley, Shakespeare Medical Centre
Walks available 16, 23 and 30 April 2021
|Friday||11am||This walk is for up to 14 walkers.|
|Oakley walk, leaving from school layby
Walk available 25 April 2021
|Sunday||2.30pm||This walk is for up to 14 walkers.|