Do I need planning permission?

In recognition that an increased number of residents will be working from home in response to the Covid-19 pandemic, advice on homeworking in relation to planning can be found at on the Planning Portal website.

This depends on what you want to do. Some minor alterations and extensions, particularly to houses, can often be carried out without the need for planning permission. This is known as permitted development.

Further specific details about permitted development can be found on the Planning Portal website. You need to check there are no specific restrictions which may have been imposed as part of a previous permission.

There are different restrictions to Basingstoke Town, Fairfields, Brookvale and South View conservation areas. These areas are covered by Article 4 directions which may mean you need planning permission.

Find out if you need planning permission by submitting a planning application (section 192 of the Town and Country Planning Act 1990) for a proposed use of buildings or other land or other operations proposed to be carried out for half the equivalent fee. Please see Fees for planning applications .

Alternatively you may wish to use our Duty Planning Service if the permitted development query relates to householder or small business enquiries only.

You can also find out if you need planning permission by emailing If you provide sufficient information on the development proposed we can provide confirmation in writing. A fee will be required. Please check the pre-application fees 2020/21 for more information.

If you know that you will need planning permission, please visit the Before making a planning application webpage.

Proposals in conservation areas

Basingstoke Town, Fairfields, Brookvale and South View conservation areas, are covered by Article 4 directions. In these areas you may need planning permission, for replacing windows and doors, and for external painting. For more information visit our Conservation areas webpage or you can view individual Conservation area maps.

Change of use and business developments

If you want to change the use of a building or land you may need planning permission. There are developments which are permitted and some which need permission.

Planning permission is not usually needed when both the existing and proposed new uses fall within the same Use Class. It is also possible to change uses between some classes without making an application. Contact the Planning Development Team in writing to confirm whether or not you need to submit a planning application. They can also advise on your chances of getting permission. See Before you make a planning application for further information.

Most alterations to business premises do need planning permission, including:

  • all shop and office extensions
  • alterations to shop fronts
  • external security shutters or grilles

More information can be found in the government's publication Planning permission: a guide for business.

You could also contact the Borough Business Partnership which helps business understand all regulatory systems that the council operates.

Running a business from home

Take a look at the guide on running a business from home for more information.

Applications to purchase areas of amenity open space

Take a look at our webpage Applications to purchase areas of amenity open space for more information.

Renewable energy

Renewable energy comes from resources such as the sun, wind, water and plant material.

There are many technologies which can harness these resources to provide hot water and electricity. These include:

  • solar photovoltaic panels
  • solar water heating
  • ground source heat pumps
  • biomass stoves or boilers
  • wind turbines

The installation of small scale microgeneration equipment can be permitted development. The Planning Portal provides advice on what can be installed without planning permission.

For further information and guidance, please visit the Energy Saving Trust website.

Agricultural proposals

Agricultural operations or the use of existing buildings on agricultural land for agricultural purposes will not need planning permission. Permitted development exists for certain developments and you should seek advice from us before undertaking works.

More information can be found through the government's Planning Practice Guidance.

Outdoor advertisements and signs

More information on consent is available through the GOV.UK website - Outdoor advertisements and signs: a guide for advertisers. This information explains to anyone who wants to display an outdoor advertisement how advertisement control works in England. This guide now takes account of the provisions of the Town and Country Planning (Control of Advertisements)(England) Regulations 2007.

Planning Portal

Further information on planning is provided on the Planning Portal website. The guide is intended for both householders and business people. It explains why planning controls are necessary and how decisions are made. You may also require Building Regulation approval – please contact the Building Control Team on 01256 845237 or email

Community Infrastructure Levy (CIL)

The Community Infrastructure Levy (CIL) came into effect from 25 June 2018 and will be payable on relevant planning permissions granted from this date. Please visit the CIL pages for further information .

Contact us

  • Contact us online
  • 01256 844844
  • Civic Offices
    London Road
    RG21 4AH
  • Opening hours
    Monday to Thursday
    8.30am to 5pm
    8.30am to 4.30pm
Give us feedback