Council Leader re-elected and Cabinet appointed
First elected as Leader in May 2019, Cllr Rhatigan was reappointed at the meeting of all councillors, held at The Haymarket owing to COVID-19 restrictions. This followed Cllr Rhatigan’s group winning a majority of 33 seats of the 54 on the council in the elections on Thursday 6 May.
The Leader appoints his Cabinet and Cllr Rhatigan announced that Cllr Simon Bound was continuing as Deputy Leader. The other members of the Cabinet return, but there have been some changes to portfolios:
• Deputy Leader and Cabinet Member for Communities, Planning and Infrastructure Cllr Simon Bound
• Cabinet Member for Health, Wellbeing and Leisure Cllr Rebecca Bean
• Cabinet Member for Recycling, Waste and Regulatory Services Cllr Hayley Eachus
• Cabinet Member for Economic Development Cllr Hannah Golding
• Cabinet Member for Finance and Major Projects Cllr John Izett
• Cabinet Member for Homes and Housing Regeneration Cllr Tristan Robinson
• Cabinet Member for the Natural Environment and Climate Improvement Cllr Mark Ruffell.
Cllr Rhatigan said: “I was very proud to have come from the back benches straight into the role as Leader two years ago and I am privileged to be re-elected as Leader for another four years. With business experience and years of interacting with people in all walks of life, my aim is to understand what matters to people at a local level and give them the good value and clear vision they expect from their council.
“I am glad to announce the return of experienced and dedicated Cabinet members. We have a lot to do and I have made some change to portfolios to ensure the best fit of services in the context and new challenges of our post-COVID world. This will increase resilience in the strong team taking the borough forward. Our focus is on supporting our communities and businesses to recover as we emerge from the pandemic and drive forward initiatives to give everyone in the borough a brighter future and meet our climate emergency targets.”