CCTV cameras in Basingstoke Town Centre
Basingstoke and Deane Borough Council operates 12 public space CCTV cameras in the town centre, which are located throughout the Top of the Town. The cameras are monitored at a local control room 24 hours a day, 7 days a week.
The purpose of Basingstoke and Deane Borough Council CCTV is to help reduce and detect crime and anti-social behaviour and make people feel safer. To achieve this, the service aims to:
- Assist with the early response to risks and incidents of crime and anti-social behaviour to prevent further escalation.
- Provide evidence to assist with the prosecution of offenders.
- Help ensure the safety and protection of people and places.
- Provide reassurance to people who visit the Town Centre.
- Support local businesses to tackle crime and anti-social behaviour through the Shop Watch and Pub Watch radio schemes.
- Assist the enforcement of ‘Byelaws for the Good Rule and Government of the Borough of Basingstoke and Deane and for the prevention of nuisances’.
There are also cameras located at some of the council depots to assist with the prevention and detection of crime and anti-social behaviour.
A copy of the council's CCTV policy can be found below.