Basingstoke and Deane Sport and Physical Activity Alliance (SPAA)
One of the key government priorities at national, regional and local level is to create a healthier, physically active sporting nation. This includes increasing participation in sports, having physical activities available for everyone at all levels and improving health and wellbeing.
To be able to achieve this priority, a number of key organisations within Basingstoke and Deane Borough who are involved in sport, physical activity and health within the district have formed a partnership called SPAA.
About the Basingstoke and Deane SPAA
The group meets quarterly to identify shared local priorities and appropriate initiatives to increase the number of people participating in sport and physical activity in a local area and provides an opportunity for member organisations to update the group on recent success and challenges. The alliance will act as an interface between health and physical activity.
The SPAA will work collaboratively to achieve the following objectives by delivering projects where partnership project adds value:
- Increasing participation.
- Widening access to physical activity and sport.
- Securing investment for sport and physical activity by collaborative funding bids.
- Supporting the recruitment and development of volunteers.
- A shared vision through joint working across sectors and pooling knowledge and resource.
The SPAA’s priority will be to increase participation and promote healthy lifestyles among:
- 13-18 year olds.
- Older people.
- Low income groups.
- People with disabilities.
- BME communities.
The SPAA will contribute to other relevant partnership strategies.
Who is involved?
The following local organisations members include those with a direct interest in sport and physical activity within Basingstoke and Deane as well as those who have an interest in the benefits and broader social outcomes.
The following organisations are members of Basingstoke and Deane SPAA:
- Basingstoke and Deane Borough Council
- Energise Me
- Basingstoke Sports Trust
- Basingstoke and Deane Community Leisure Trust
- Basingstoke Sports Council
- Queen Mary College
- Basingstoke College of Technology
- Basingstoke Voluntary Action
- Basingstoke School Games Organiser
- Community Schools
- North Hampshire Clinical Commissioning Group
- West Hampshire Clinical Commissioning Group
- Basingstoke and Deane Health and Wellbeing Partnership
For more information please contact Gareth Evans, Wellbeing Officer - Sports by emailing firstname.lastname@example.org