COVID-19 guidance for shopping
Last updated: 4 August 2020 at 8am
The latest guidance for staying safe and protecting others when shopping during the pandemic is set out below.
On this page
Reopening of non-essential stores
Following the Government’s announcement that non-essential retailers were able to reopen stores from Monday 15 June, we worked with our partners in the town centre and other shopping areas across the borough to ensure a safe and pleasant experience for shoppers. Measures in place include:
- walking on the left hand side of walkways in the town centre area
- increased cleaning of public areas
- signage reminding shoppers what they need to do
We are also working with partners to provide hand sanitising stations at the Top of the Town and in council-owned car parks.
Please continue to support local businesses but please do so safely by following the social distancing measures in place, minimising the amount of people from your household visiting the town centre and avoiding the busiest times of the day.
In England, unless you are exempt you must wear a face covering by law when in setting including shops, supermarkets and indoor shopping centres.
For more information, including a full list of the settings in which you must wear a face covering and who is exempt from wearing a face covering, or for instructions on how to make a face covering, read the government's guidance on face coverings: when to wear one and how to make your own.
Travelling into town
If you are using a council-owned car park in the town centre please consider paying by card or using the free RingGo app which is available to download from the App Store and Google Play.
There are also other ways to get to the town centre, including walking, cycling and public transport. If you use the bus please follow the social distancing measures in place at Basingstoke bus station and on the buses.
Guidance for shopping
- Peak shopping times - try to avoid these times, although it may now be difficult to determine when these are.
- Social distancing - maintain a safe distance of two metres from all other shoppers and staff – this includes routes into and out of the store.
- Shopping basket or trolley - ask if it has been sanitised since last being used. If not, sanitise using either your own sanitiser or that provided by the store.
- Sanitise your hands - when you enter the store, ideally with your own sanitiser or, if available, that provided by the store.
- Wear a face mask – wearing a face mask in shops, supermarkets and indoor shopping centres is required by law.
- Don’t delay while shopping or chat with neighbours, friends or store staff as this delays other shoppers being able to enter the store.
- If you are planning to remain at home for long periods of time, consider buying non-perishable foods.
- Try to use only one hand (your non-dominant hand) to pick up goods.
- Try to minimise direct hand contact with food by using available tongs and utensils. While you may ordinarily avoid plastic-wrapping, now might be the time to stick to wrapped/packaged goods.
- Don’t touch your mouth, nose or eyes.
- Make a contactless payment if possible.
- Sanitise your hands on leaving the shop and again when you get into your car, if you use a car.