Popley Islands West Environmental Renewal Scheme 2020/21
The council’s Environmental Renewal Scheme for Popley Islands West is under way to enhance communal areas and open spaces within the local neighbourhood. The work began in the new year and involved clearing out old vegetation, removing tree stumps and tidying up areas that were overgrown.
Works that have taken place over the past few months include:
- Installation of a new footpath at Tewkesbury Open Space to allow easier access to benches and outdoor gym equipment.
- Installation and upgrade of the steps and pathway between Tobago Close and Speckled Wood Road making access easier between the two areas.
- Installation of wooden bollards in areas where parking on kerbs has been an issue.
- Clearance and replanting of areas to increase natural surveillance.
- Replanting and reseeding to enhance neglected areas
- Ornamental tree and bulb planting.
These improvements have been designed in response to the consultation that was carried out in December 2020.
Popley Islands West Consultation
In 2020 we carried out a consultation to get ideas for potential improvements as part of the Environmental Renewal Scheme within Popley Islands West. We received 28 replies from residents.
The main points that were raised were:
- A need for improved pathways in certain areas
- Increase of maintenance to overgrown areas across Popley Islands West which was making the area look untidy and run down
- Problems with dumping of rubbish
- Problems with parking
- Better planting and bulb planting to attract wildlife
- The importance of wildlife and biodiversity
- Improvements to local play facilities