New Leader and Cabinet at borough council after administration change
News release 10375, published on 19 May 2023
Cllr Paul Harvey has been elected as Basingstoke and Deane Borough Council’s new Leader.
His appointment came after the elections on Thursday 4 May resulted in no party having a voting majority.
At the Council meeting tonight (Thursday 18 May), a motion to remove Cllr Simon Minas-Bound as Leader and replace him with Cllr Harvey, who is the leader of the Independent Forum, was successful.
This will be second time as Leader for Cllr Harvey, who last had the role in the 2005/2006 council year.
The Liberal Democrat group leader Cllr Gavin James was announced as the Deputy Leader, but will be known as Co-Leader, and he will also be the Cabinet Member for Finance and Property.
Cllr Harvey announced the councillors that would be taking the other roles in the Cabinet, who are a mix of Independent Forum councillors and Liberal Democrat councillors:
- Cabinet Member for Climate and Ecological Emergency - Cllr Chris Tomblin
- Cabinet Member for Communities, Partnerships and Inclusion - Cllr John McKay
- Cabinet Member for Major Projects and Regeneration - Cllr Onnalee Cubitt
- Cabinet Member for Residents’ Services and Housing - Cllr Laura James
- Cabinet Member for Sports, Leisure and Culture - Cllr Kerry Morrow
- Cabinet Member for Strategic Planning and Infrastructure - Cllr Andy Konieczko
Cllr Harvey said: “Our new administration will be a collective of councillors all working together for the good of the borough.
“This is a new chapter that brings with it a new administration that I am proud to lead with my colleagues, jointly, together for the whole of our borough. Our cabinet, full of talent and ambition will work to unlock the potential of our borough.
“We will offer leadership, focus and action on the priorities people have so clearly said matter most to them.
“There is so much to be done, and our intention is to get down to the work of making Basingstoke and Deane a better place for everyone and to run a council that is inclusive, open and welcoming. To seek a ‘can do’ approach to the people’s issues. To hold in trust the people’s finances and put them to good use delivering those priorities.
“As the page now turns and we look to the future, I thank Cllr Minas-Bound for his service to the borough.”
The chairs of the committees were elected as:
- Scrutiny Committee – Cllr Paul Miller
- Economic Planning and Housing Committee – Cllr Chloe Ashfield
- Community Environment and Partnerships Committee – Cllr Jo Slimin
- Manydown Overview Committee – Cllr Angie Freeman
- Development Control Committee – Cllr Andy McCormick
- Licensing Committee – Cllr Tony Jones
- Human Resources Committee – Cllr Andrea Bowes
- Audit and Accounts Committee – Cllr Paul Basham
- Standards Committee – Verity Murricane