Council’s Leader re-elected and Cabinet members appointed
Cllr Sanders, who has been Leader since 2012, was elected for a four year term at the Council meeting. Cllr Terri Reid remains as Deputy Leader, with portfolio responsibilities for housing, regeneration, arts and heritage.
The other Cabinet members were reaffirmed as:
• Cabinet Member for Communities and Community Safety – Cllr Simon Bound
• Cabinet Member for Digital Innovation and Inclusion – Cllr Hannah Golding
• Cabinet Member for Finance, Service Delivery and Improvement – Cllr Robert Tate
• Cabinet Member for Planning and Infrastructure – Cllr Mark Ruffell
• Cabinet Member for Property and Development – Cllr John Izett
• Cabinet Member for Regulatory Services and the Environment – Cllr Hayley Eachus
Cllr Sanders said: “I am very proud to be re-elected as Leader of the Council, especially at such an exciting time when are we are taking great strides forward to build an even better future for the borough. We are determined to grasp the opportunities of growth to bring benefits for our residents and businesses, as well as meeting the challenges of reducing resources for local government.
“We move forward with the same Cabinet for continuity and consistency, continuing our focus on providing high quality, best value services for our residents at the lowest possible cost.”
The first meeting of the new Cabinet takes place next Tuesday (15 May).
The chairs of the council’s committees were also elected at last night’s meeting:
• Audit and Accounts Committee - Chair Cllr Roger Gardiner
• Community, Environment and Partnerships Committee - Chair Cllr Rob Golding
• Development Control Committee - Chair Cllr Paul Miller
• Economic, Planning and Housing Committee - Chair Cllr Tristan Robinson
• Human Resources Committee - Chair Cllr Venetia Rowland
• Licensing Committee - Chair Cllr Diane Taylor
• Manydown Overview Committee - Chair Cllr Rebecca Bean
• Scrutiny Committee - Chair Cllr David Potter
• Standards Committee - Chair Peter Moore OBE
The committee vice-chairs will be elected at their first meetings.
The new councillors elected on Thursday 3 May were welcomed at the Council meeting:
• Brighton Hill South – Cllr Kim Taylor
• Buckskin – Cllr Stephanie Grant
• Grove – Cllr John McKay
• Whitchurch – Cllr Dave George
• Winklebury – Cllr Ruth Cooper