New Leader and Deputy Leader at borough council
Cllr Ken Rhatigan was elected Leader at the Council meeting tonight (Thursday 16 May). He replaces Cllr Clive Sanders, who stepped down following seven years as Leader.
Cllr Simon Bound, previously the Cabinet Member for Communities and Community Safety, is Deputy Leader.
In his first weeks, Cllr Rhatigan is concentrating on what people want most from the council and listening to possible solutions from other councillors, local organisations and businesses to the challenges the borough faces.
He said: "This is a great place to live but it could be even better. My job as the new Leader is to make it amazing, not just for our residents, but for the people who work and spend their free time here. Together as a strong Cabinet team, we will strive to protect what we have and make the future brighter for all the people in the borough.”
Cllr Bound said: "I am proud to have the opportunity to serve as Deputy Leader, supporting the Leader in delivering the things that people most want us to do every day and in the medium and long term. I will be strengthening our links with partner organisations to ensure we are acting as one to make a real difference to the lives of all the people in our communities.”
The other members of the Cabinet, announced by Cllr Rhatigan, are:
• Cabinet Member for Borough Development and Improvement – Cllr Rebecca Bean
• Cabinet Member for Environment and Enforcement - Cllr Hayley Eachus
• Cabinet Member for Finance and Service Improvement – Cllr Hannah Golding
• Cabinet Member for Regeneration and Property – Cllr John Izett
• Cabinet Member for Homes and Families - Cllr Tristan Robinson
• Cabinet Member for Planning, Infrastructure and Natural Environment – Cllr Mark Ruffell
- Ends -