Don’t miss next week’s celebration of the borough’s COVID-19 heroes
As part of a project launched by Basingstoke and Deane Borough Council, Love Basingstoke and Basingstoke Voluntary Action, people of all ages across the borough were asked to send in their messages of thanks to local heroes who have gone above and beyond throughout the pandemic.
Almost 400 personal messages were received thanking residents, groups and businesses for their work to support vulnerable people in the community and carrying out acts of kindness.
Examples of this fantastic work will be showcased during Basingstoke and Deane’s Big Thank You Week, from Monday 10 August to Friday 14 August. Throughout the week of celebration, there will be a spotlight on:
• Unsung heroes on 10 August on Love Basingstoke’s social media channels
• Volunteer organisations, community hubs and community associations on 11 August on Love Basingstoke’s social media channels
• The business community with two categories – community support and adapting operations on 12 August on Business in Basingstoke’s social media channels
• Local artists, art organisations and the heritage sector on 13 August on Basingstoke Festival’s social media channels
• Key and essential workers on 14 August on Basingstoke and Deane Borough Council’s social media channels.
The Mayor of Basingstoke and Deane Cllr Diane Taylor said: “The COVID-19 pandemic has been a worrying time for everyone but it has also shone a spotlight on the kindness, compassion and community spirit in our borough and I have been overwhelmed and moved by the hundreds of fantastic messages we have received.
“From getting essential supplies for family, friends and others in their communities, donating hot meals and supplies to support our emergency services and charities helping others to providing a friendly voice on the end of the phone, you have all made life a bit brighter for those you have helped.
“I couldn’t be more proud to be the Mayor of such a wonderful borough and I would be delighted if you could all join me in saying a very public thank you to our borough’s COVID-19 heroes and hearing about the fantastic contribution they have made.
“We do not know how long the pandemic will affect us and I would like to thank those who continue to support others, including those who simply serve without recognition. I would encourage everyone to continue to use our website to thank anyone you know who is going out of their way to help people in need.”
For more information visit www.thebigbdthankyou.co.uk