Safer Streets 2 Project
Last year the Police and Crime Commissioner secured £275,179 from the government’s Safer Streets Fund. This was with 20% matched funding. This money has been invested in crime prevention measures in Basingstoke town centre. The area includes parts of the Eastrop and Grove ward, and part of the Brookvale and Kings Furlong ward.
The project has funded crime prevention measures and initiatives, which contribute to Basingstoke being a safer place to live work and visit and reduce acquisitive crime.
Some of the initiatives included within the project include:
- Providing more and improved street lighting to improve people’s feeling of safety.
- Increasing security for cycles and cycle parking, with funding for bike locks and bike marking events.
- Grounds maintenance work to open up enclosed areas where residents tell us they don’t feel safe.
- Increasing surveillance camera coverage in public places across the area.
- Improved security measures for garages within the Riverdene area.
- Providing free crime prevention packs to local residents across the area.