Borough bin collections
New waste contract awarded
Residents are set to benefit from improvements to bin collection services following the award of a £44 million joint waste contract. Basingstoke and Deane Borough Council and Hart District Council have awarded the joint contract to provide household waste and recycling collections to Serco for the next eight years, with an option of extending for a further eight years.
A joint waste contract for Basingstoke and Hart was agreed in 2011 which delivered savings for both authorities over the past seven years. This current contract expires in October 2018. The new joint arrangements ensure the best possible service and continued value for money for residents in both council areas.
The new joint contract worth £5.5 million per year will deliver additional benefits to residents including:
- an improved Garden Waste Collection Service using wheeled bins and/or reusable sacks
- a new fleet of vehicles
- improved customer service
- improved IT systems which will improve communication with residents and the council’s contact centre on the status of collections a bin repair service
- more communication on how to recycle and reduce misuse of the recycling bins
- collections of clinical waste and bring sites.