Waste Electrical and Electronic Equipment (WEEE)
I have some WEEE, how can I dispose of it?
You can recycle worn out small electrical equipment (upto a maximum size of 58cm wide x 21cm deep) in one of the collection banks installed around the borough.
This helps to stop people putting worn-out electrical items which plug in or use batteries into their grey bins, including:
- kettles, toasters or kitchen appliances
- hairdryers, straighteners or curling tongs
- cameras or photographic equipment
- music equipment , including radios and MP3 players
- lamps, heaters or electric blankets
- computers or games consoles
- electrical toys, such as remote controlled cars
- fairy lights
- mobile phones.
These items are then sent to be processed with materials being recycled into new products.
To recycle larger electrical items, such as televisions or vacuum cleaners, you can take them to the local Household Waste Recycling Centre (HWRC) on Wade Road, Basingstoke.
Where can I find a collection bank?
You can take your worn out electrical items to one of our locations across the borough:
- Castons Road car park, New Road, Basingstoke, RG21 7PF
- Brighton Hill shopping centre, RG22 4EH
- Hatch Warren - Sainsbury's, Wallop Drive, Hatch Warren, Basingstoke, RG22 4TW
- Kingsclere - Fieldgate Centre, Kingsclere, RG20 5SQ
- Overton Hill, London Road, RG25 3HU
- Tadley - Sainsbury's, Mulfords Hill, Tadley, RG26 3JE
- Winklebury Centre, Winklebury Way, RG23 8BU
Other ways of disposing of WEEE
You can take your WEEE to the Household Waste Recycling Centre (HWRC) on Wade Road for free disposal.
For larger items that you are unable to transport to the HWRC, such as televisions and fridges, you can book online for your items to be collected via the bulky waste collection service. Please note that this is a chargeable service.
If you have good quality electrical items, they can be donated to The Community Furniture Project (Basingstoke) where they will be re-used. To arrange a collection, call the Community Furniture Project on 01256 320700.