Demolition and dangerous structures

The Building Control Team is also responsible for the control of demolition and dangerous structures.


If you are planning to carry out demolition work you may need to let us know before you start.

We need to be notified if the demolition is more than 50m3 in volume. This can be about the size of a two storey rear extension. The application must be made at least six weeks before the work is due to start.

Complete a notice of intention to carry out demolition application form

Planning permission may also be required for some types of demolition, particularly in a conservation areas and you may need to obtain a party wall agreement with any adjoining owner.

Section 81 notice

Once your application has been received we will issue a notice setting out various conditions which are intended to ensure that the work is carried out safely and with no loss of public amenity.

No demolition operation can start unless we have given a notice under Section 81 of the Building Act 1984 or six weeks has passed since you gave us notice. This period is required to allow time for us to consult interested parties. We will try to consult as quickly as possible and in many cases will be able to give a notice within seven days.

It is also the responsibility of the person carrying out the demolition to consult occupiers of adjacent buildings and the gas and electricity companies.

Where notice is given under Section 81, a copy must also be given to the owners and occupiers of any building adjacent to the demolition site. If material is to be burnt on site, the Fire Service and the Health and Safety Executive must also be given a copy.

The notice may contain the following conditions:

  • shore up adjacent buildings
  • weatherproof surfaces of adjacent buildings
  • repair and make good damage to an adjacent building caused by the demolition
  • remove material or rubbish form the site resulting from the demolition
  • disconnect and seal any drain or sewer
  • remove any drain or sewer
  • make good the surface of the ground disturbed
  • make arrangements for the disconnection of gas, water and electricity into the building
  • make arrangements with regards to the burning of materials on site with
    - the Health and Safety Executive
    - fire authority
  • take such steps as the local authority considers necessary for the protection of the public and the preservation of public amenity.

Dangerous structures

If a building or structure is considered dangerous to anyone in or around it, the council has powers to make the owner remove the danger. If the owner cannot be found in an emergency situation, we may remove the danger and recharge the owner(s).

If you become aware of a danger complete the enquiry form below or call us on 01256 844844.

Contact details

Building control team

If you have an enquiry about building control, send a message to the Building Control Team.

Sign up for email updates

Receive information on council services, news and events by email.

© 2024 Basingstoke and Deane Borough Council