Using this website
We want as many people as possible to be able to use this website. For example, that means you should be able to:
- change contrast levels and fonts
- zoom in up to 300% without the text spilling off the screen
- navigate most of the website using just a keyboard
- navigate most of the website using speech recognition software
- listen to most of the website using a screen reader (including the most recent versions of JAWS, NVDA and VoiceOver)
We’ve also made the website text as simple as possible to understand.
AbilityNet website has advice on making your device easier to use if you have a disability.
This website is partially compliant with the Web Content Accessibility Guidelines version 2.1 AA standard.
We know some parts of this website aren’t fully accessible:
- The text in a table won’t reflow when the size of the browser window is changed.
- Most older PDF documents aren’t fully accessible to screen reader software.
- There’s a limit to how far you can magnify the maps on our website.
- Some elements of our forms are not fully accessible at the moment, but we are working on addressing these issues. If you encounter any problems, please call our Customer Services Team on 01256 844844.
- The Examination Library section within the Local Plan area of our website. Please let us know if you need any of these documents in an alternative format.
- Our borough newspaper, Basingstoke and Deane Today, is not fully accessible. A digital accessible version is available and a paper copy of this newspaper is sent out to all households in the borough.
- Our senior staff structure is not accessible, please contact us for an alternative version.
- Our Report to those charged with governance PDF file is not fully accessible, please contact us for an alternative version.
- Some of our Neighbourhood Plan documents are not fully accessible, please contact us for an alternative version.
- Google Translate will no longer work if you are using Internet Explorer as your browser, please try Google Chrome, Microsoft Edge, Safari or another browser to translate any of our pages.
- Some of our Council budgets and spending documents are not fully accessible, please contact us for an alternative version.
- The webcast meetings page automatically refreshes when the next webcast is due to begin.
- Some of the documents on this page Borough council's constitution are not fully accessible, please contact us for an alternative version.
- The Land at Watermill Bridge inquiry documents are not fully accessible, please contact us for an alternative version.
- Some of the tables in the Statement of Community Involvement are not fully accessible, please contact us for an alternative version.
- Some of our Local Plan update evidence documents and Have your say on the draft Basingstoke and Deane Local Plan Update documents are not fully accessible, please contact us for an alternative version.
Issues with PDFs and other documents
Many of our older PDFs, Word and Excel documents don’t meet accessibility standards - for example, they may not be marked up so they’re accessible to a screen reader.
The accessibility regulations don't require us to fix PDFs or other documents published before 23 September 2020 if they're not essential to providing our services.
Any new PDFs, Word and Excel documents we publish will meet accessibility standards.
Issues with images, video and audio
Live video streams don’t have captions.
We don’t plan to add captions to live video streams because live video is exempt from meeting the accessibility regulations
We have a large number of other websites and third party sites which we know do not meet the required level of accessibility. We have an ongoing project to decommission and evaluate these websites and where appropriate rebuild them to the required standards. If you have any issue accessing any of these legacy sites please contact us using the details listed above.
Preparation of this accessibility statement
This statement was prepared on Tuesday 22 September 2020. It was last reviewed on Wednesday 24 January 2024.
This website was last tested in March 2020. The test was carried out by Shaw Trust Accessibility Services.
This website was and is currently being tested for compliance with the Web Content Accessibility Guidelines V2.1 level A and level AA, and these tests have been carried out internally.
The site is automatically tested each week using Siteimprove. This is a third-party platform to test the accessibility quality and usability of the site.
Feedback and contact information
If you need information on this website in a different format like accessible PDF, large print, easy read, audio recording or braille complete our information in a different format online form
We’re always looking to improve the accessibility of this website. If you find any problems that aren’t listed on this page or think we’re not meeting the requirements of the accessibility regulations, contact the Web Team by emailing email@example.com
We provide a text relay service for people who are deaf, hearing impaired or have a speech impediment.
Our offices have audio induction loops, or if you contact us before your visit we can arrange a British Sign Language (BSL) interpreter.
The Equality and Human Rights Commission (EHRC) is responsible for enforcing the accessibility regulations. If you're not happy with how we respond to your complaint, contact the Equality Advisory and Support Service (EASS).