Down Grange Sports Complex
Our eight-lane athletics track has reopened having undergone £220,000 of track refurbishment work including resurfacing the athletics arena.
The reopening of the track, which has been closed since April, marks the completion of the first phase of plans to enhance the athletics facilities at the sports complex in Pack Lane, Kempshott.
A second phase of the project, which includes a spectator stand, timekeepers’ stand and perimeter fencing, is expected to get under way later this year and will be funded by the council’s capital programme and section 106 developers’ contributions. In addition, we are working with Basingstoke and Mid Hants Athletics Club to install a new clubhouse which will be funded by the athletics club.
Address: Pack Lane, Basingstoke, Hampshire, RG22 5SN
To book the facilities below email SportsPitchBookings@basingstoke.gov.uk or call 01256 845194, Monday to Friday between 8am and 4pm.
Facilities at Down Grange include:
- eight-lane athletics track and field events arena
- two artificial turf pitches catering for hockey and football
- 5v5 youth grass football pitches
- youth training boxes and full size rugby pitches
- one petanque terrain
- shooting range (situated in the Walled Garden)
- Maidenwell sports pavilion with changing rooms and hockey club house
On this page
Resident clubs at Down Grange
Clubs welcome new members and volunteers so please click on the links below for more details:
Recent facility developments at Down Grange
Down Grange is one of the borough’s flagship sports facilities which is highly valued within the community. It is therefore important to maintain and enhance facilities on site and develop new provision where appropriate.
Since 2010, the following improvements have been made to the complex:
- Extension and resurfacing of the athletics track from six to eight lanes with additional enhancements to field facilities
- Re-carpeting of the astroturf pitch
- Improvements to parking, parking restrictions and signage
- Refurbishment and DDA enhancements to the Maidenwell Pavilion. (Basingstoke Hockey Club have also relocated into the club house facilities on the first floor)
- Installation of a 2km way-marked route
- Installation of a second artificial grass pitch, designed for use by Basingstoke Hockey Club, and used for football and other sports
- Allocated Local Infrastructure Funding to Basingstoke Rugby Club towards enhancing the club house with new and improved changing facilities which are now RFU compliant
Future developments at Down Grange
We are continuing to work with clubs to explore opportunities to enhance existing provision based on their requirements and the changing needs of the borough.
Membership numbers within the hockey, rugby and athletics clubs have increased and teams have experienced much success in recent seasons. The clubs therefore wish to extend or enhance playing surfaces and club facilities on site:
- Basingstoke Hockey Club – With the successful installation of the second hockey pitch, the aspiration of Basingstoke Hockey Club and the council is to resurface the original sand dressed artificial pitch, including small spectator stand and storage, providing the club with access to two high level hockey pitches for training, league matches and competitions. Both pitches will be available for football and other sports.
- Basingstoke Rugby Club – Would like to convert the main pitch surface from grass to 4G rubber crumb surface specifically for rugby use.
- Basingstoke and Mid Athletics Club – After many years of work, April 2022 sees the modernisation of the athletics arena. The project includes resurfacing the athletics track, installation of a viewing gallery and officials stand on the finish line, a spectator stand, a club house (funded by Basingstoke and Mid Hants Athletics Club), and perimeter fencing. Some aspects of this project are subject to successful planning applications.
The projects delivered at Down Grange have been funded via Basingstoke and Deane Borough Council capital funds, S106 Developers Contributions, external funding sources (Sport England) and from continuous fundraising by the resident clubs. The clubs continue to investigate whether there are any grants from sports governing bodies or other sources that could potentially support further enhancements at Down Grange.
Way Marked Route
There is a 2km way marked route on site. This route is part of the Run England 321 initiative and provides walkers and runners alike with the chance to test their fitness or simply enjoy a gentle stroll. You can use the route to monitor your own fitness, set up a timed challenge with friends, or perhaps explore it with the children!
The trail starts close to the Walled Garden car park where you will find a map of the route displayed. You can also view a map below. For more information on this trail, please contact the Health and Wellbeing Team on 01256 845685.