Down Grange Sports Complex
Down Grange Athletics track will be closed from Monday 4 April for approximately 10 weeks while we carry out much-needed refurbishment work to resurface the eight-lane track.
The £280,000 track refurbishment work includes re-surfacing the athletics arena, installing a finish line viewing gallery and timekeepers’ stand. It marks the start of the first phase of plans to enhance the athletics facilities at the sports complex in Pack Lane. The second phase includes a spectator stand, perimeter fencing and a new clubhouse, which is all subject to planning permission.
Address: Pack Lane, Basingstoke, Hampshire, RG22 5SN
To book the facilities below email SportsPitchBookings@basingstoke.gov.uk or call 01256 845194, Monday to Friday between 8am and 4pm.
Facilities at Down Grange include:
- eight-lane athletics track and field events arena
- two artificial turf pitches catering for hockey and football
- grass football (5v5 and 7v7) and rugby pitches (full size)
- one petanque terrain
- shooting range (situated in the Walled Garden)
- Maidenwell sports pavilion with changing rooms and hockey club house
On this page
Resident clubs at Down Grange
Clubs welcome new members and volunteers so please click on the links below for more details:
Recent facility developments at Down Grange
Down Grange is one of the borough’s flagship sports facilities which is highly valued within the community. It is therefore important to maintain and enhance facilities on site and develop new provision where appropriate.
Since 2010, the following improvements have been made to the complex:
- Extension and resurfacing of the athletics track from six to eight lanes with additional enhancements to field facilities
- Re-carpeting of the astroturf pitch
- Improvements to parking, parking restrictions and signage
- Refurbishment and DDA enhancements to the Maidenwell Pavilion. (Basingstoke Hockey Club have also relocated into the club house facilities on the first floor)
- Installation of a 2km way-marked route
- Installation of a second artificial grass pitch, designed for use by Basingstoke Hockey Club, and used for football and other sports
- Allocated Local Infrastructure Funding to Basingstoke Rugby Club towards enhancing the club house with new and improved changing facilities which are now RFU compliant
Future developments at Down Grange
We are continuing to work with clubs to explore opportunities to enhance existing provision based on their requirements and the changing needs of the borough.
Membership numbers within the hockey, rugby and athletics clubs have increased and teams have experienced much success in recent seasons. The clubs therefore wish to extend or enhance playing surfaces and club facilities on site:
- Basingstoke Hockey Club – With the successful installation of the second hockey pitch, the aspiration of Basingstoke Hockey Club and the council is to resurface the original sand dressed artificial pitch, including small spectator stand and storage, providing the club with access to two high level hockey pitches for training, league matches and competitions. Both pitches will be available for football and other sports.
- Basingstoke Rugby Club – Would like to convert the main pitch surface from grass to 4G rubber crumb surface specifically for rugby use.
- Basingstoke and Mid Athletics Club – After many years of work, April 2022 sees the modernisation of the athletics arena. The project includes resurfacing the athletics track, installation of a viewing gallery and officials stand on the finish line, a spectator stand, a club house (funded by Basingstoke and Mid Hants Athletics Club), and perimeter fencing. Some aspects of this project are subject to successful planning applications.
The projects delivered at Down Grange have been funded via Basingstoke and Deane Borough Council capital funds, S106 Developers Contributions, external funding sources (Sport England) and from continuous fundraising by the resident clubs. The clubs continue to investigate whether there are any grants from sports governing bodies or other sources that could potentially support further enhancements at Down Grange.
Way Marked Route
There is a 2km way marked route on site. This route is part of the Run England 321 initiative and provides walkers and runners alike with the chance to test their fitness or simply enjoy a gentle stroll. You can use the route to monitor your own fitness, set up a timed challenge with friends, or perhaps explore it with the children!
The trail starts close to the Walled Garden car park where you will find a map of the route displayed. You can also view a map below. For more information on this trail, please contact the Health and Wellbeing Team on 01256 845685.