Down Grange Sports Complex
Address: Pack Lane, Basingstoke, Hampshire, RG22 5SN
To book the facilities below email SportsPitchBookings@basingstoke.gov.uk or call 01256 845194, Monday to Friday between 8am and 4pm.
Facilities at Down Grange include:
- eight-lane athletics track and field events arena
- artificial turf pitch catering for hockey and football
- grass football (5v5 and 7v7) and rugby pitches (full size)
- one croquet lawn
- one petanque terrain
- shooting range (situated in the Walled Garden)
- refurbished Maidenwell sports pavilion with changing rooms and hockey club house
On this page
Resident clubs at Down Grange
Clubs welcome new members and volunteers so please click on the links below for more details:
Recent facility developments at Down Grange
Down Grange is one of the borough’s flagship sports facilities which is highly valued within the community. It is therefore important to maintain and enhance facilities on site and develop new provision where appropriate.
Since 2010, the following improvements have been made to the complex:
- Extension and resurfacing of the athletics track from six to eight lanes with additional enhancements to field facilities
- Re-carpeting of the astroturf pitch
- Improvements to parking, parking restrictions and signage
- Refurbishment and DDA enhancements to the Maidenwell Pavilion. (Basingstoke Hockey Club have also relocated into the club house facilities on the first floor)
- Installation of a 2km way-marked route
Future developments at Down Grange
We are continuing to work with clubs to explore opportunities to enhance existing provision based on their requirements and the changing needs of the borough.
Membership numbers within the hockey, rugby and athletics clubs have increased and teams have experienced much success in recent seasons. The clubs therefore wish to extend or enhance playing surfaces and club facilities on site:
- Basingstoke Hockey Club – Would like to establish a second sand dressed artificial pitch. This would be specifically designed for Hockey, although it could be used for football and other sports.
- Basingstoke Rugby Club – Would like to enhance their existing club pavilion and convert the main pitch surface from grass to 4G rubber crumb surface specifically for Rugby use.
- Basingstoke and Mid Athletics Club – Would like to establish a spectator stand which includes provision for storage and an indoor training area underneath.
Clubs are investigating whether there are any grants from sports governing bodies or other sources that could potentially support further enhancements at Down Grange.
Smaller clubs, such as the croquet and disc golf clubs, also have aspirations for the site.
Further details of the three main project proposals and a frequently asked questions document can be found at the bottom of this page.
The link below provides an update about the current progress of this project and the results of the recent consultation:
A planning application was submitted and permission has been granted for all three schemes.
We are now working with the clubs to finalise their business plans and funding bids to make progress in each of the three schemes.
Way Marked Route
There is a 2km way marked route on site. This route is part of the Run England 321 initiative and provides walkers and runners alike with the chance to test their fitness or simply enjoy a gentle stroll. You can use the route to monitor your own fitness, set up a timed challenge with friends, or perhaps explore it with the children!
The trail starts close to the Walled Garden car park where you will find a map of the route displayed. You can also view a map below. For more information on this trail, please contact the Health and Wellbeing Team on 01256 845685.