Duty to refer - public bodies
Under Section 213B of The Homelessness Reduction Act (HRA), some public bodies will have a duty to refer (DtR) to a local authority those customers who may be homeless or threatened with homelessness within 56 days. This duty applies to the following organisations:
- young offender institutions
- secure training centres
- secure colleges
- youth offending teams
- probation services (including community rehabilitation companies)
- job centres in England
- social service authorities (both adults and children's)
- emergency departments
- urgent treatment centres
- hospitals in their function of providing in-patient care
- Secretary of State for defence in relation to members of the regular armed forces
A countywide Duty to Refer Protocol and referral form have been developed for Hampshire and to ensure that all agencies have the correct information and procedures in place in order to refer patients/service users to a local authority housing department.
Please see the documents below for the Duty to Refer Protocol and referral form which should be disseminated throughout your organisation with specific emphasis on front-line staff.
Further information about the Homeless Reduction Act and the Duty to refer can be found by visiting the following links: