Local Infrastructure Fund (LIF)
Basingstoke and Deane Borough Council recognises the value of community activity and the need to have sustainable infrastructure to deliver this. Through the LIF scheme communities can work with their local ward councillors to identify community infrastructure needs and apply for funding for projects that would make the most difference for local residents.
Since January 2014, when the LIF programme started, £5,307,484 has been allocated to support 78 projects right across the borough. These projects have benefited local communities through extended and refurbished community centres and village halls, improved sports facilities and playgrounds, better parking and access arrangements and enriched public spaces.
However, it is important to note that this limited fund is receiving increasing numbers of applications. It is a competitive process so please look at the guidance carefully before applying and bear in mind that not all the proposals received can be funded.
What types of projects will be funded?
LIF funding will support projects that improve existing, or establish new, facilities for community, sport, education or public amenity use. Schemes will ensure facilities are safe, accessible, fit for purpose; addressing gaps in local level community provision or increasing community involvement. Below are the LIF’s main priorities, but applications will be considered on a case by case basis:
- Health and safety requirements (such as roof repairs, sports-related play surfaces, boiler/heating system replacement, re-wiring, dry rot).
- Improvements to accessibility (such as ramps, accessible toilets, parking, highway, transport, foot and cycle path, lighting projects).
- Modernisation (e.g. kitchen/toilet/pitch/play park/flooring refurbishments), where there is evidence the existing condition is affecting use.
- Extensions, new buildings or facilities to meet increased demand or proven deficits (e.g. cemetery provision, skate parks, youth buildings) or feasibility studies to determine viability.
Please refer to the Expression of Interest form for projects that are excluded from the scheme.
Who can apply for the fund?
- Constituted voluntary/community/not-for-profit making organisations
- parish/town councils
- schools and churches (where facilities are made available for more general community use beyond predominantly school or church related activity)
- ward councillors if no community group is able to make the application.
How much can you apply for?
From £3,000 up to £200,000. However, there may be additional funding for areas that have had recent housing development.
How can I apply?
Applying to the LIF scheme is a two-stage process.
If you have an idea for a project you will need to complete an Expression of Interest form. This is not an application to the fund, but you must submit this before you can make a full application.
An expression of interest may be submitted at any time during the year but the dates for funding rounds are fixed and your enquiry will be allocated to the next available funding round. See the table below for the deadline dates.
Completed forms should be emailed to email@example.com or sent by post to the LIF Administrator, Policy & Performance, Basingstoke and Deane Borough Council, Civic Offices, London Road, Basingstoke, RG21 4AH.
Your Expression of Interest will be reviewed and we will contact you to discuss your project further and let you know whether it is eligible for LIF funding. If it is, we will send you the full application form and guidance notes and answer any questions you may have about the application process and supporting information required.
Please note that confirmation to move to the full application stage does not guarantee that you will receive funding. It is a competitive process with limited funds available and not all proposals received can be funded.
Once you receive your full application pack, you will have several months to complete your application and submit by the relevant deadline. See the table below for details.
What are the deadlines for applications?
The deadlines for applications in 2018 are detailed below:
|Deadline for Expression of Interest||Deadline for Full Application and supporting documentation||Likely decision date if considered this round|
|15 September 2017||5pm on 19 January 2018||March 2018|
|10 March 2018||5pm on 15 June 2018||September 2018|
Local Infrastructure Fund
Telephone: 01256 845462