Local Infrastructure Fund (LIF)
Basingstoke and Deane Borough Council recognises the value of community activity and the need to have sustainable infrastructure to deliver this. Through the LIF scheme communities can work with their local ward councillors to identify community infrastructure needs and apply for funding for projects that would make the most difference for local residents.
|Please note: The scheme has been refreshed and now combines a number of council grant schemes into a single, transparent and wide-ranging capital scheme. The application process has slightly changed from the previous round so if you are considering applying to the scheme, please read the information provided on this webpage carefully.|
What types of projects will be funded?
LIF funding will support projects that improve existing, or establish new, facilities for community, sport, education or public amenity use. Schemes will ensure facilities are safe, accessible, fit for purpose; addressing gaps in local level community provision or increasing community involvement. Below are the LIF’s main priorities, but applications will be considered on a case by case basis:
- Health and safety requirements (such as roof repairs, sports-related play surfaces, boiler/heating system replacement, re-wiring, dry rot)
- Improvements to accessibility (such as ramps, accessible toilets, parking, highway, transport, foot and cycle path, lighting projects)
- Modernisation (e.g. kitchen/toilet/pitch/play park/flooring refurbishments), where there is evidence the existing condition is affecting use
- Extensions, new buildings or facilities to meet increased demand or proven deficits (e.g. cemetery provision, skate parks, youth buildings) or feasibility studies to determine viability
Please refer to the Expression of Interest form on the link below for projects that are excluded from the scheme.
Who can apply for the fund?
Constituted voluntary/community/not-for-profit making organisations, parish/town councils, schools and churches*, Ward Councillors.
*With regards to schools and churches, the project must benefit the wider community, be secular or not the responsibility of the Education Authority or part of the school curriculum.
How much can you apply for?
From £3,000 up to £200,000. However, there may be additional funding for areas that have had recent housing development.
How can I apply?
Applying to the LIF scheme is a two-stage process.
If you have an idea for a project you will need to complete an Expression of Interest form 2017*:
This may be submitted at any time during the year; however, the dates for funding rounds are fixed* (see below). Completed forms should be emailed to firstname.lastname@example.org or sent by post to the LIF Administrator, Local Infrastructure Fund, Basingstoke and Deane Borough Council, Civic Offices, London Road, Basingstoke, RG21 4AH.
Once your Expression of Interest has been reviewed and is deemed eligible to apply to the LIF scheme, we will contact you to discuss your project and provide further guidance on requirements for a LIF application and the supporting documentation needed.
You will then be sent an application pack with the full application form and contact details for the relevant council officer, who will be able to guide you through the process.
* Please note: the Expression of Interest form is not an application to the fund. To apply, you will need to complete an application pack and submit the application form and all relevant supporting information by the deadline (noted below) for your proposal to be considered.
What are the deadlines for applications?
The deadlines for applications in 2017 are detailed below:
|Deadline for Expression of Interest||Deadline for Full Application and supporting documentation||Likely decision date if considered this round|
|10 March 2017*||5pm on 14 July 2017||September 2017|
|15 September 2017||5pm on 19 January 2018||March 2018|
*Expressions of Interest submitted after the 10 March deadline will be carried over to the next LIF round unless they are for emergency work, in which case their inclusion will be at the Council’s discretion.
Local Infrastructure Fund
Telephone: 01256 845238