Notice your neighbourhood

Is there something in your local area which is affecting you? It could be anything from overhanging vegetation onto a footpath, an abandoned vehicle, an incident of rowdy or inconsiderate behaviour, or an area where you don’t feel safe. We have been encouraging the local community to take ownership of their local area and report any concerns which can be considered by the relevant organisation.

Research shows that an area which is clean and well maintained sends the signal that the area is monitored, and that criminal behaviour is not tolerated. By addressing concerns early there is a reduced chance of problems escalating and an increased chance of a community which feels safe and empowered.

The council provides a number of frontline services which will report and rectify issues which we notice in the community, but we can’t do this alone and rely on local communities to tell us, or other relevant organisations about problems, so we can understand the impact and help to resolve them.

Additionally, several community groups and volunteers exist to support their local area, from conservation groups to organised community litter picks. Getting involved in your local community is a positive way to make a difference, learn something new or make new friends.

Getting involved

There are a range of ways you can be involved in making a positive contribution and difference in your local area. This can be from simply reporting issues which are concerning you, to being involved in various community groups or voluntary organisations. Some local organisations which support being involved are included here:

Reporting issues

There are lots of things you can report to the council or other appropriate agencies to resolve antisocial behaviour affecting people and places.

Report to Basingstoke and Deane Borough Council

  • Graffiti
  • Discarded needles
  • Fly-tipping
  • Litter
  • Broken Glass
  • Dog fouling
  • Overflowing bins
  • Abandoned Vehicles
  • Overhanging vegetation and hedges
  • Damaged equipment in parks and open spaces
  • Grass cutting
  • Leaf clearing

Report It

Report to Hampshire County Council

  • Potholes
  • Paving problems
  • Flooding or drainage issues
  • Street lighting

Report to Hampshire County Council

Report to the Police

  • A crime in progress or immediate threat to life (999)
  • An incident of antisocial behaviour or other incident which requires Police involvement (101)

Report a crime | Hampshire Constabulary

Is there an area where you don’t feel safe?

StreetSafe is a pilot service for anyone to anonymously report public places where you have felt or feel unsafe, because of environmental issues, eg street lighting, abandoned buildings or vandalism and/or because of some behaviours, eg being followed or verbally abused. Reports are routinely reviewed by the Police and Council to consider anything which can be done to reduce the impact and improve feelings of safety.

Report to StreetSafe | (

Sign up for email updates

Receive information on council services, news and events by email.

© 2023 Basingstoke and Deane Borough Council