Basingstoke and Deane Borough Council complies with the Data Protection Act 1998 and is a registered Data Controller (Reg. No Z5534117). We are committed to keeping your personal information accurate and up to date. We will not keep your information longer than necessary.
This privacy notice tells you what to expect when we collect your personal information.
This notice applies to all personal data collected for or on behalf of the council. This includes information collected by letter, email, face to face, telephone or online.
You may also receive a privacy notice specific to the service you are receiving.
By using our site you agree to accept this privacy notice. This notice may be reviewed from time to time so please check back here each time you submit personal data to us.
Information we may collect from you
We may collect and process the following data about you:
Information you give us
To access some services via our website you may be asked to provide us with personal information about yourself. You may also provide information when you correspond with us by phone or email.
The information you give us may include your name, address, email address and phone number, financial and credit card information or other information supplied by you.
Information we collect about you
When you visit our website we may automatically collect the following information:
- Information we receive from other sources. We may receive information about you if you use any of the other websites we operate or the other services we provide. In this case we will have informed you when we collected that data that it may be shared internally and combined with data collected on this website. We also work closely with third parties (including, for example, business partners, sub-contractors in technical, payment and delivery services, advertising networks, analytics providers, search information providers, credit reference agencies) and may receive information about you from them
- Web chat conversations
- Information you submit when completing a service request within My Basingstoke or when signing up to receive information about council news, events and services
- We use Google Analytics and Site improve to collect standard internet log information and details of visitor behaviour patterns. We do this to find out things such as the number of visitors to various pages of our website and the information is used to help develop the site.
Use of computer cookies
How we use your information
All personal data you supply to us on our website will be processed in accordance with the Data Protection Act 1998. We will use this information:
- To provide you with the information and services that you request from us.
- To administer our website and for internal operations, including troubleshooting, data analysis, testing, research, statistical and survey purposes.
- To improve our website to ensure that content is presented in the most effective manner for you and for your computer or device.
- To allow you to participate in interactive features of our service, when you choose to do so.
- As part of our efforts to keep our website safe and secure.
- Any personal data you have given us will not be passed to third parties for commercial purposes.
Disclosure of your information
Your personal information will be shared among officers, councillors and other partner agencies where it is necessary to provide you with the service you have requested and where the law allows or requires it. It may also be used to help improve the service you receive and to develop other services.
For the prevention and detection of crime we may disclose your information to law enforcement or government authorities if it is requested by them.
We won’t share your information with any other organisation for marketing, market research or commercial purposes.
Where we store your personal data
The data we collect from you may be transferred to, and stored at, a destination outside the European Economic area (EEA). It may also be processed by staff operating outside the EEA who work for one of our suppliers. Such staff may be engaged in, among other things, the processing of your payment details and the provision of support services. By submitting your personal data you agree to this transfer, storing or processing.
All payment transactions will be encrypted.
Unfortunately the transmission of information via the internet is not completely secure. Although we will do our best to protect your personal data we cannot guarantee the security of data transmitted to our website; any transmission is at your own risk. Once we have received your information we will use strict procedures and security features to try to prevent unauthorised access.
Links to other websites
This privacy notice does not cover the links within this site linking to other websites. We encourage you to read the privacy notices on the other websites you visit.
How to access your personal information
You have the right to request a copy of the personal information that we hold about you. You can also request any incorrect information about you to be updated. Further details about accessing your personal information can be found on our website on our Data Protection webpage.
We keep our privacy notice under regular review. This privacy notice was last updated in December 2016.
Although we make reasonable efforts to keep the information on this website up to date and accurate, we make no representations, warranties or guarantees whether express or implied, that the content on our site is accurate, complete or up to date. The council, its employees or agents will not be held responsible for any loss, damage or inconvenience caused as a result of reliance on such information.
Unless otherwise stated, the design, layout and all the material published on this website is the copyright of Basingstoke and Deane Borough Council.
We authorise you to view and download the material on this website only for your personal, non-commercial use. You must keep any copyright or other notices contained in the original material on any of the material you download. Any use of the material on this website, including distribution, requires express written permission from Basingstoke and Deane Borough Council.