Salting roads and footpaths in winter weather
In most circumstances, responsibility for salting roads and footpaths rests with Hampshire County Council as the highway authority for this area. Regular traffic and road updates are given on the Hantsconnect Twitter feed. Specific information is available online:
Always check online first to answer enquiries that you may have about the weather. Only call 0845 603 5633 in emergency situations (threat to life/property or livestock)
Basingstoke and Deane Borough Council assists Hampshire County Council, the highway authority responsible for gritting the roads, wherever possible by targeting the following areas for salting:
- Basingstoke town centre and council-owned car parks
- Basingstoke town centre footway links
- Basingstoke train station (front and access roads)
- Civic Offices and car parks
- Worting Road Cemetery
- Basingstoke Leisure Park
- Down Grange and Stratton Park entrance road
- Shopping parades
- Chute House
- Ambulance station access road
Once the above is complete we will liaise with the county council and coordinate resources to other key areas within the borough including schools, elderly care homes and medical centres.
Housing associations will clear the public areas around their properties. Contact VIVID on 0800 652 0898 or Sovereign Housing Association on 0300 5000 926.
Latest updates on borough council services
Keep up to date on the latest cold weather response and information on council services at Basingstoke and Deane Borough Council Twitter page or Basingstoke and Deane Borough Council Facebook page.
Advice and useful information
The following websites may help you:
- ROMANSE website - road traffic and travel information for Hampshire, including traffic cameras.
- National Highways website - real-time traffic information for England's motorways and major A roads. You can also listen to Traffic Radio broadcast on DAB radio or call 0300 123 5000.
- The AA website and the RAC website also provide road traffic and travel information.
- South Western Railway website - details of cancellations and the latest rail travel news.
- Stagecoach Bus website - details of cancellations and the latest bus travel news. Newbury and District buses can be contacted by telephoning 01635 33855.
If your pipes have frozen:
- Turn off the water supply at the stop tap
- Slowly thaw the pipe with hot water bottles or a towel soaked in hot water, starting at the end nearest to the tap. Never use a naked flame or blowtorch
If your pipes have burst