In a partnership between the Borough Council and Hampshire County Council, a draft Transport Strategy has been prepared for Basingstoke and we are now seeking your views on what measures are being proposed. This is focussed on ensuring that access to the town is maintained and improved and which highlights concerns that could worsen if improvements are not made, such as traffic congestion, an inability of public transport to compete with the car and poor quality walking and cycling routes.
The draft transport strategy proposes a range of measures for improving transport including:
- improving access to and within the town centre
- creating new developments which are well-planned and integrated with the existing transport network
- providing a step change in the quality of local public transport
- developing high quality priority strategic walking and cycling corridors
- managing journey times and reliability
- maintaining strong strategic transport connections
- forward planning of the transport network to meet future needs.
The strategy, once adopted, will provide a framework for more detailed work on specific projects which will be progressed to deliver transport improvements in and around the town.
Consultation on the draft Transport Strategy commences at midday on Wednesday 28 November 2018 and runs until 28 January 2019 with a copy of the document and questionnaire available to view online at www.hants.gov.uk/basingstoketransportstrategy.