In a partnership between the Borough Council and Hampshire County Council, Transport Strategy has been prepared for Basingstoke. This is focussed on ensuring that access to the town is maintained and improved and which highlights concerns that could worsen if improvements are not made, such as traffic congestion, an inability of public transport to compete with the car and poor quality walking and cycling routes.
The transport strategy includes a range of measures for improving transport including:
- improving access to and within the town centre
- creating new developments which are well-planned and integrated with the existing transport network
- providing a step change in the quality of local public transport
- developing high quality priority strategic walking and cycling corridors
- managing journey times and reliability
- maintaining strong strategic transport connections
- forward planning of the transport network to meet future needs.
The strategy was adopted by both authorities in July 2019 and it will now provide a framework for more detailed work on specific projects which will be progressed to deliver transport improvements in and around the town. This is being used to inform decisions on key planning applications as well as the Local Plan Update.
A copy of the jointly adopted Transport Strategy, the associated Implementation Plan and a summary document of the Mass Rapid Transit scheme are available to download below:
Main Strategy - July 2019(PDF) [8 Mb]
Implementation Plan - July 2019(PDF) [2 Mb]
Mass Rapid Transit for Basingstoke - July 2019(PDF) [5 Mb]