Funding private rented accommodation

If you are on a low income or you are claiming any other benefits, you may be able to get help to pay the rent through Universal Credit. You may also be entitled to Council Tax Support. Find out about claiming Universal Credit and Council Tax Support. This page also provides a link to a benefit calculator so you can check your entitlement.


Most landlords will ask for a deposit as security against any damage to property and/or non-payment of rent during the tenancy. If you have an Assured Shorthold Tenancy (AST) which started after 6 April 2007, legislation requires your landlord to protect your deposit in a Tenancy Deposit Protection (TDP) scheme. This needs to be done within 30 days of the deposit being made by the tenant.

If your landlord fails to protect your deposit, they cannot evict you unless you have broken the terms of the tenancy agreement. You may also be entitled to compensation through the court. To do this successfully you must have proof that monies paid prior to you moving in were for a deposit and not anything else. You can get advice on deposits form your local Citizens Advice.

Contact details

If you need some advice about privately renting email the Private Rent team

Sign up for email updates

Receive information on council services, news and events by email.

© 2023 Basingstoke and Deane Borough Council