Community Infrastructure Levy (CIL)
The Community Infrastructure Levy (CIL) is a new mechanism for raising funds for essential infrastructure from development. The levy is an amount that must be paid per square metre of qualifying development. Because of the way that this is applied in Basingstoke and Deane, the following forms of development will either not be liable for development (due to national regulations) or will have a zero charge levied on new floorspace (due to local circumstances). You are advised to carefully as well as the detail of the regulations for specific forms of development and limitations, check the CIL charging schedule, but typically this refers to the following forms of development:
- Single dwellings;
- Self-build dwellings;
- Care homes, extra care and sheltered accommodation;
- Wholly flatted residential schemes (where the development consists entirely of flats and is not a component of a wider residential development with a mix of dwelling types);
- Residential annexes and extensions;
- Structures into which people do not normally go;
- Structures which are not buildings;
- All affordable housing (see the council's Discretionary Social Housing Relief Policy);
- Temporary buildings;
- Self-build housing;
- Development for charitable purposes;
- Applications for development where no buildings are proposed (e.g. mineral extraction sites); and
- All other forms of non-residential development.
Please note that even though CIL may not be payable on a specific form of development, it may still be necessary to complete the relevant CIL forms. These are available on the CIL Administration and Collection Paying CIL webpage.
The Borough Council is a ‘Charging Authority’ and implements the levy for the area of Basingstoke and Deane Borough.
Basingstoke and Deane Borough Council (BDBC) adopted its Community Infrastructure Levy (CIL) and supporting policies on 22 March 2018 and came into effect on 25 June 2018.
The following CIL rates apply in Basingstoke and Deane:
|Location/type of residential development||Charge rate (£ per square metre)|
|Zone 1 – Hounsome Fields (Policy SS3.12) and Manydown (Policy SS3.10)||0|
|Zone 2 – Basingstoke Golf Course; East of
Basingstoke; Upper Cufaude Farm
|Zone 3 – Basingstoke and Tadley||£140|
|Zone 4 - Rest of the Borough||£200|
|Care homes / extra care / sheltered housing||0|
|Wholly flatted schemes(1)||0|
|All other forms of development (residential and
(1) This rate applies where 100% of the dwellings on site are flats. This excludes flats which are part of the housing mix on a larger development site.
Please see the CIL Charging Schedule for relevant maps to highlight the above zones
Community Infrastructure Levy
If you have an enquiry about the Community Infrastructure Levy please email CILcharge@basingstoke.gov.uk