Community Infrastructure Levy (CIL)
The Community Infrastructure Levy (CIL) is a new mechanism for raising funds for essential infrastructure from development. The levy is an amount that must be paid per square metre of qualifying development. Because of the way that this is applied in Basingstoke and Deane, the following forms of development will either not be liable for development (due to national regulations) or will have a zero charge levied on new floorspace (due to local circumstances). You are advised to carefully read the CIL Charging Schedule for specific types of development and limitations, but typically this applies to the following forms of development:
- Single dwellings.
- Self-build dwellings.
- Care homes, extra care and sheltered accommodation.
- Wholly flatted residential schemes (where the development consists entirely of flats and is not a component of a wider residential development with a mix of dwelling types).
- Residential annexes and extensions (if under 100m2 of floorspace).
- Structures into which people do not normally go.
- Structures which are not buildings.
- All affordable housing (Read the Discretionary Social Housing Relief Policy (opens in a new window) (PDF) [392kb]).
- Temporary buildings.
- Self-build housing.
- Development for charitable purposes.
- Applications for development where no buildings are proposed (e.g. mineral extraction sites).
- All other forms of non-residential development.
Please note that even though CIL may not be payable on a specific form of development, it may still be necessary to complete the relevant CIL forms. Forms are available on the CIL Administration and Collection Paying CIL webpage.
The Borough Council is a ‘Charging Authority’ and implements the levy for the area of Basingstoke and Deane Borough.
Basingstoke and Deane Borough Council (BDBC) adopted its Community Infrastructure Levy (CIL) and supporting policies on 22 March 2018 and came into effect on 25 June 2018.
The rates outlined below apply in Basingstoke and Deane. View a map of the charging zones.
|Location/type of residential development||Charge rate applicable 25 June 2018
(£ per square metre)
|Charge rate applicable 2021
(£ per square metre)
|Zone 1 – Hounsome Fields (Policy SS3.12)
and Manydown (Policy SS3.10)
|Zone 2 – Basingstoke Golf Course; East of
Basingstoke; Upper Cufaude Farm
|Zone 3 – Basingstoke and Tadley||£140||£145.23|
|Zone 4 - Rest of the Borough||£200||£207.48|
|Care homes / extra care / sheltered housing||0||0|
|Wholly flatted schemes(1)||0||0|
|All other forms of development (residential and
(1) This rate applies where 100% of the dwellings on site are flats. This excludes flats which are part of the housing mix on a larger development site.
(2) This includes commercial and agricultural development as well as other forms of residential development not referred to elsewhere in the above Schedule, but excludes residential extensions and detached outbuildings within residential curtilages over 100 square metres or more gross internal area which are chargeable unless any exemption is given.
Community Infrastructure Levy
If you have an enquiry about the Community Infrastructure Levy please email CILcharge@basingstoke.gov.uk