Bulky household waste collection
Please note this service is for the disposal of household waste only and not business waste. Please see our waste responsibilities page for more information on how to dispose of your waste.
Remember - don't dump it! If your waste is dumped illegally, you could be prosecuted - even if it was someone else who dumped it. For more information on this see our fly tipping page.
On this page
Requesting a bulky waste collection
If you are in receipt of council tax support or housing benefit, you may qualify for a reduced charge. You will need to provide your benefit reference number when booking a collection.
You may also qualify if you are in receipt of the housing element of universal credit, but you will need to supply us with proof either via email or face-to-face.
You can request a bulky waste collection by telephoning our Customer Service Centre on 01256 844844. Please ensure you have your credit/debit card details available when you call.
If you wish to make payment by
- Cheque - Customer Service Centre will be able to advise you on the charges.
- Cash - you will need to make payment via our kiosk, then take your receipt to reception to arrange a collection. Please note cash payments must not be sent through the post
Charges for bulky waste collection
The charges for a bulky household waste collection are as per the table below. There is a cancellation charge of £10.61 if cancelled in less than five working days.
|Item limit||Standard charges||Concessionary charges|
|Up to 3||£29.18||£14.58|
|11+||We will need to quote||We will need to quote|
Items we can collect
Please click on the headings below to check what we will collect.
- Household - lounge/dining items
- Dining chair
- Dining table
- Coffee table/nest of tables
- Wall unit
- Sofa corner suite
- Sofa 2 seater
- Sofa 3 seater
- TV aerial
- Video/DVD player
- Hoover/vacuum cleaner
- Coat stand
- Cupboard/cabinet (free standing)
- Picture (no glass)
- Shelving unit (or up to 4 single shelves)
- Lamp - ceiling/floor/wall
- Bedroom items
- Sofa bed
- Bed base - single/double/king
- Mattress - single/double/king
- Headboard - single/double/king
- Futon base
- Futon mattress
- Dressing table (no mirror)
- Mirror doors
- Bedside cabinet
- Chest of drawers
- Bathroom items
- Broken up cast iron bath
- Bath - plastic/tin
- Toilet bowl
- Toilet cistern
- Sink with pedestal/basin
- Electric shower
- Kitchen items
- Window blinds (up to four units)
- Kitchen appliance (for example toaster, kettle, iron, blender)
- Kitchen units (up to two units)
- Kitchen worktop (up to one length)
- Ironing board (no asbestos)
- Clothes airer
- Garden items
- Garden chair
- Garden table
- Lawn mower (electric or non)
- Fence panel
- Leaf blower
- Rotary washing line
- Shed (dismantled - max 2.5m x 2.5m)
- Slide/swing (dismantled)
- Water butt
- Office items
- Office chair
- Office desk
- Filing cabinet
- Notice board
- White goods CFP items
- Cooker - electric or gas (not aga)
- Fridge/freezer (4ft or under)
- Fridge/freezer (over 4ft)
- Chest freezer
- Tumble dryer/spin dryer
- Washing machine
- Leisure/other items
- Power tool
- Portable heater (no oil)
- Storage heater (no bricks)
- Gas heater (free standing)
- Boiler (not floor standing)
- Radiators (up to two)
- Carpet/underlay/lino/rug (up to 14ft x 14ft)
- Door - internal/external (no glass)
- Window frame (no glass)
- Packaging (for example polystyrene/cellophane three bin liners worth)
- Toys (one bin liner)
- Exercise/weights bench (no weights)
- Games console
- Snooker table
- Golf clubs (set)
What you need to do on the day of collection
Items should be available for collection by 7am on the day and will be collected by 4pm. Our crews will not knock on your door, they will just collect the items and go.
Your items need to be left outside at the most accessible point to the road, but not on public land. Our crews are not insured to enter your property. Please do not ask them to collect items from inside your property (including your shed or garage).
If you live in a flat, the crew will normally collect items from the bin store.
Please empty all food from fridges and freezers before collection.
If you are leaving out items such as sofas and mattresses, please cover them if the weather is wet.
Disposal at the Household Waste Recycling Centre (HWRC)
You can dispose of your items (some items may incur a charge) at the HWRC, Wade Road, Basingstoke. The HWRC is open every day, except 25 and 26 December and 1 January. Opening times are:
1 March to 31 March - 9am to 5pm
1 April to 30 September - 9am to 6pm
1 October to 28 February - 9am to 4pm
Community Furniture Project
Do the items that you are disposing of have some useful life in them? If so, you may be able to give them to the Community Furniture Project in Basingstoke. Find out about the Community Furniture Project.
Alternatively you may wish to advertise the item on freecycle. This is a community network similar to eBay, but does not involve money.
Waste Management Team
If you have an enquiry about waste collection, send a message to the Waste and Recycling Team