Bulky household waste collection
If you are looking to dispose of unwanted household items we offer a collection service from domestic properties within the borough.
This service is not available for businesses. Please see our waste responsibilities page for more information.
Large household items, such as furniture, electrical items and white goods can be collected.
Collections are made between 7am and 4pm Monday to Friday and payment is taken at the time of booking.
We are increasing the range of services available online and are pleased to be able to offer bookings for large household items online now. The next step will be to offer all booking types online, including white goods.
On this page
Charges for bulky waste collection
The charges for a bulky household waste collection are as per the table below. Please note that large items for example fridge freezer over 4ft or a 3 seater sofa count as two items.
Customers in receipt of council support, housing benefit or housing element of universal credit may be entitled to a discount. Please call 01256 844844 to book your collection. You will need to provide proof.
There is a cancellation charge of £10.93 if cancelled in less than five working days. Your refund for the amount paid will be less the cancellation charge.
If cancelled prior to the five days a full refund will be given.
|Item limit||Standard charges||Concessionary charges|
|Up to 3||£30.06||£15.02|
Items we can collect
Please click on the headings below to check what we will collect.
- Bathroom items
- Bath - cast iron (broken up) (5 points/items)
- Bath - plastic/tin
- Electric shower
- Sink with pedestal
- Toilet bowl
- Toilet cistern
- Bedroom items
- Bed base - single/double/king
- Bedside cabinet
- Chest of drawers
- Dressing table (no mirror)
- Futon base
- Futon mattress
- Headboard - single/double/king
- Mattress - single/double/king
- Mirror doors
- Sofa bed
- Garden items
- Fence panel
- Garden chair
- Garden table
- Lawn mower (electric or non)
- Leaf blower
- Rotary washing line
- Shed (dismantled - max 2.5m x 2.5m) (3 points/items)
- Slide/swing (dismantled)
- Water butt
- Coffee table/Nest of tables
- Cupboard/cabinet (free standing)
- Dining chair
- Dining table
- Hoover/vacuum cleaner
- Shelving unit (or up to 4 single shelves)
- Sofa 2 seater
- Sofa 3 seater (2 points/items)
- Sofa corner suite (3 points/items)
- Television aerial
- Video/DVD player
- Kitchen items
- Clothes airer
- Ironing board (no asbestos)
- Kitchen units (up to two units)
- Kitchen worktop (up to one length)
- Small kitchen appliance (for example toaster, kettle, iron, blender)
- Window blinds (up to four units)
- Office items
- Filing cabinet
- Notice board
- Office chair
- Office desk
- Printer or scanner
- Other items
- Boiler (not floor standing)
- Carpet/underlay/lino/rug (up to 14ft x 14ft)
- Door - internal/external (no glass)
- Exercise/weights bench (no weights)
- Games console
- Gas heater (free standing)
- Golf clubs (set)
- Lamp (ceiling, floor or wall mounted)
- Packaging (for example polystyrene/cellophane three bin liners worth)
- Portable heater (no oil)
- Power tool
- Radiators (up to two)
- Snooker table (2 points/items)
- Storage heater (no bricks)
- Toys (one bin liner)
- Window frame (no glass)
Other ways to dispose of items
Other ways to dispose of these items if they have useful life left in them are to give them to the Community Furniture Project a local charity promoting re-use of furniture, household goods, electrical items and toys.
You can take your items to the tip. It is managed by Hampshire County Council, visit Household Waste Recycling Centre (HWRC) for more information, including opening times and permits.
Collecting your items
On the day of collection please leave your collection outside, close to the boundary of your property by 7am but not the public highway/footpath.
If you live in a flat please leave the items near the bin store.
Please ensure your items are:
- Manageable by two people
- Not filled with other rubbish please remove any contents for example food items in fridge/freezers
- Easily accessible outside, close to the boundary of your property and all together
- The items as agreed and confirmed on your booking any other items will not be taken
- Covered up if the weather is wet otherwise we may be unable to take items such as sofas and mattresses if they become waterlogged
|If your unwanted items are white goods such as a cooker, oven or fridge
You are in receipt of council tax support, housing benefit or the housing element of universal credit and may be entitled to a discount.
Please call us on 01256 844844 selecting option 4 to arrange a collection
Remember - don't dump it! If your waste is dumped illegally, you could be prosecuted - even if it was someone else who dumped it. For more information on this see our fly tipping page.
Waste Management Team
If you have an enquiry about waste collection, send a message to the Waste and Recycling Team