Problems with private landlords

The majority of landlords are responsible and fair. In the unlikely event that you are experiencing trouble with your landlord, the council may be able to help.

The council's powers under the Protection from Eviction Act 1977

Harassment and illegal eviction as defined in the Protection from Eviction Act 1977, are criminal offences.

We have powers to prosecute persons who commit offences under this Act. The council's housing officers investigate complaints and mediate between the parties wherever possible. The council will consider bringing a prosecution where the evidence is sufficient to indicate the likelihood of a successful prosecution and where it is in the public interest.

The Homes (Fitness for Human Habitation) Act 2018

This means that with effect from 19 March 2019 all new tenancies of under seven years or new periodic tenancies will have an implied term that a let dwelling will be fit for human habitation at the start of the tenancy and will be kept in that condition throughout. If a landlord fails to comply with the Act, tenants may have the right to take court action for breach of contract.

If the court decides that the landlord has not provided their tenant with a home that is fit for habitation, then the court can:

  • make the landlord pay compensation to their tenant
  • make the landlord do the necessary works to improve their property

If the tenant seeks redress through the courts, this does not stop their local authority from using its enforcement powers.

If you're a landlord thinking of renting your property please visit our Private rent scheme webpage or contact us by completing the Landlords enquiry form.

Contact details

Housing Standards Team

If you have an enquiry about housing standards, send a message to the Housing Standards team

Sign up for email updates

Receive information on council services, news and events by email.

© 2024 Basingstoke and Deane Borough Council