Legal duties as a landlord

In order to rent a property in the UK the following is required by law.

How to rent guide

This is a guide produced by the UK Government to assist with private rent. You must provide this to the tenant before move in.

How to rent guide

Energy Performance Certificate (EPC)

This tells a tenant how energy efficient a property is. A property must be graded E or above to be rented out. A certificate lasts 10 years and must be valid at the point a tenancy commences.

Check to see if your property has a valid EPC

Gas safety certificate

If a property has gas, a gas safety certificate must be issued. This is a yearly requirement. Tenants are legally entitled to a copy each year. They must be given to the tenant when they move in.

More information about gas safety certificate

Electrical Installation Condition report (EICR)

This last 5 years. The certificate verifies that the electrics in the property are safe. A valid EICR must be given to the tenant at move in.

Smoke and carbon monoxide alarms

A working smoke alarm must be provided on each floor of the property.

Right to rent

You must ensure a tenant has the right to rent in the UK failure to do so can result in fines and/or imprisonment. If you are unsure how to do this check the tenant's right to rent guide. Your tenant may need to provide proof of their right to rent.

Tenancy agreement

This is not a legal requirement but it is useful to have as it sets out the expectations for both tenant and landlord. This will also be required by tenants in order for their rent to be paid by benefits. An Assured Shorthold Tenancy (AST) is the most common tenancy where a landlord does not live in the property. View more information on tenancy types. If we have placed a tenant into your property we can take care of the tenancy agreement for you free of charge. If you are renting a room you will use a licence to occupy, we can provide you with a template for this.

If you are doing your own you should remember that before the start of the tenancy you have to provide:

  • Gas Safety certificate
  • Energy Performance Certificate (EPC)
  • Electrical Installation Condition Report (EICR)
  • How to rent guide

Please make sure that your tenant has signed to say they have received it.


Most landlords will usually take a deposit. This is legally capped at five weeks rent. Within 30 days landlords must register a deposit with one of three schemes in the UK. The certificate must be given to the tenant. View for more information on deposits.

Deposit Bond

The council are able to offer a Deposit Bond for many of our tenants in place of a cash deposit. For more information visit the Private rent scheme webpage

Preparing to let

You may also wish to think about these factors:

Contact details

If you need some advice about privately renting email the Private Rent team

Sign up for email updates

Receive information on council services, news and events by email.

© 2024 Basingstoke and Deane Borough Council