Protected trees

Some trees in the borough are important either because of their age or because of their prominence in the landscape. Where these trees are under threat we can step in to provide legal protection by making a Tree Preservation Order (TPO).

The council designates conservation areas for their cultural and heritage importance, area of special architectural or historic interest, which has a character or appearance that is desirable to preserve. In a conservation area all trees with a trunk diameter greater than 7.5cm, when measured at 1.5m from ground level are protected.

Check whether a tree is protected

Please note that the map is not a definitive statement of the existence/non-existence of a TPO. Contact us if you need a confirmation of a TPO.

Find out if a tree is protected

PDF document Instructions for using our mapping system(PDF) [104 kb]

Request a new TPO

If you would like to request a new TPO please read the leaflet below and complete the online application form.

PDF document Request for a New Tree Preservation Order(PDF) [153 kb]

PDF document Tree protection advice and guidance(PDF) [2 Mb]

TPOs currently under consideration

The Tree Preservation Orders below have recently been made by the council and we are in the process of deciding whether to make them permanent. If the consultation deadline has not passed, you can make a comment by email

Reference Title Consultation deadline Deposit end period
TPO/BDB/0715 Land to the East of Dummer Down Lane, Dummer, Hampshire 8 January 2024 11 June 2024
TPO/BDB/0716 Land at 7 Peel Gardens, Kingsclere, Newbury, RG20 5SB 17 January 2024 17 June 2024
TPO/BDB/0717 Land to the North of Whitchurch Railway Station, Newbury Road, Whitchurch, Hampshire 08 March 2024 09 August 2024
TPO/BDB/0718 Land at 53 Newbury Road, Kingsclere RG20 5SP 23 April 2024 26 October 2024

Applications submitted for tree works can be found on the planning applications portal.

Search for an application

Carrying out works to a protected tree

Before carrying out work to a protected tree, you will normally need seek permission by completing an application form. There is no fee for making the application.

Some works, such as removing a dead tree, removing dead branches or pruning from a live tree do not require an application. However, you do need to advise us beforehand.

Application form for tree works

When we receive a tree preservation order request form, we will make an initial assessment of the risk to the tree and its importance. Based on this assessment, we will aim to make a site visit within five working days for high risk situations and 15 working days for lower risk situations. In all cases, we will write to you to advise you of our decision within 20 working days.

If you think someone is carrying out work unauthorised work to a protected tree without permission, contact us by email and we will investigate.

Help with completing your application

You might find the following documents helpful when completing your application:

PDF document Tree work application advice(PDF) [597 kb]

PDF document Example of an application(PDF) [140 kb]

PDF document Additional information template(PDF) [119 kb]


It is a criminal offence to cut down, top, lop, uproot, wilfully damage, or destroy a protected tree. The maximum fine in a Magistrate’s Court is £20,000 for each offence and in a Crown Court the fine is unlimited.

Further information

A protected tree's roots are damaging my drive/blocking my drains

Cutting the roots of any tree is generally not advised, as it may affect the tree's health and stability. If a tree is covered by a Tree Preservation Order, or if it is growing in a conservation area, an application will be required before root pruning can take place.

Tree roots are opportunistic, and if a pipe with poor joints is leaking into the surrounding soil, it will attract the roots. If repairs are required, a large number of tree roots often lead to the blame being placed with a nearby tree. However, replacing faulty drains/pipes with modern materials will usually eliminate the leak and stop problems.

Need advice or help with trees

Problems with an unhealthy tree not being safe. Assessments are best made by qualified experts.

We are unable to make specific recommendations, but we do keep copies of the Arboricultural Association’s directory of registered consultants and approved tree work contractors, which may be made available. They produces a leaflet on choosing an arborist (tree work contractor), which is available from the council email

Details of tree consultants are available from the Arboricultural Association 01794 368717 or log on to their website Arboricultural Association.

Dangerous tree

If it is a council-owned tree, you should call 01256 844844. If it is in your garden, you should contact a tree surgeon.

Trees on designated highway land

Trees growing on designated highway land, even if it is council owned land where the tree is growing, this includes many roadside trees this is managed by Hampshire Highways report any issues using the link below, or report a highways emergency that poses an immediate risk to the public call 0300 555 1388 (8.30am to 5pm Monday to Friday, outside of office hours call 101.

Report an issue with a roadside tree

Issues with neighbours trees/hedges

Issues of blocking light and shading between two properties are private matters. Generally, there is no right of light for one property over another. If this is an issue, you would be advised to seek independent legal advice.

Civil law allows you to remove any branches overhanging your property back to the actual boundary line, projected up into the airspace over the line. Please read our leaflet Tree Ownership and Responsibilities above.

Very large hedge for example Leylandii (cypress conifer), the government has introduced a law to tackle this problem, read our information on high hedges.

Contact details

Natural Environment Team

Sign up for email updates

Receive information on council services, news and events by email.

© 2024 Basingstoke and Deane Borough Council