Garden waste collection service
Thank you for visiting this page to find out more about our garden waste collection service. We are pleased to introduce an enhanced service starting from Monday 4 February 2019 which will see the following improvements:
- The service will operate all year only stopping for two weeks over Christmas/New Year (Monday 23 December 2019 to Friday 3 January 2020).
- The number of collections will increase from 22 to 25 fortnightly collections per year.
- The option of using a 240 litre wheeled bin (see below for pricing).
- Free collection of real Christmas trees after the 2019/20 festive period.
- An automated notification to renew membership each year.
Sign up for the service before Monday 1 April 2019 and get your new bin for £18. The one-off charge for the bin will revert to the normal price of £28 from Monday 1 April 2019.
How much will the service cost?
|Container type||Total capacity
|Annual service charge||Container cost
(one off charge)
|Bin (sign up before 1 April 2019)||240||£42||£18||£60|
|Bin (sign up after 1 April 2019)||240||£42||£28||£70|
|Re-useable sacks (x 2)||180||£42||Free||£42|
|Additional sacks (each)||90||£21||Free||£63 (3 sacks)|
The cost of this service is non-refundable.
Frequently asked questions
- When is my collection day?
You will be notified by email or post. If you are paying at the Civic Offices the Customer Advisor will advise you of your collection dates. You can also find out from our webpage When are my bins collected?.
- Where should I put my bin/sacks for collection?
Bins and/or sacks should be presented for collection at the nearest point to the public highway (pavement or road) accessible by the collection vehicle. This could be at the end of your path or shared drive.
- What time do I need to put my bin/sacks out for collection?
Your bin/sacks should be ready for collection by 7am.
- Can I continue to use my sacks even if I have purchased a bin?
If you have paid for a bin only service we won't empty any sacks that are put out for collection.
- What if my collection day falls on a bank holiday?
Collection days remain the same throughout the year and will not change on bank holidays - including Good Friday and Easter Monday.
- My bin/sack was not emptied, why was this?
There are a number of reasons for this:
Collection crews will not return for bins and/or sacks that were:
- Presented for collection after 7am.
- Presented in the wrong location.
- Sacks over the specified weight of 20 kg.
- Contaminated with incorrect waste.
- Contains items other than listed in 'what can be put in my garden waste bin or sacks' below.
- Not official bins or sacks.
Collection crews will only collect the number of bins and/or sacks you have paid for.
Frozen garden waste – our crews will use a tool and attempt to empty bins where contents are frozen, if they cannot be dislodged the crew will return later in the day.
Under exceptional circumstances (adverse weather, access issues, unplanned road closures or any other unforeseen circumstances) where garden waste cannot be collected information will be posted on our website.
- Presented for collection after 7am.
- What happens if my bin or sacks have been presented correctly, but have not been collected?
If your bin or sacks are not collected, please report a missed collection online.
- I am a returning customer. Do I need to pay if I still have my bin or sack?
Yes, the annual fee covers the cost of 25 fortnightly collections. Even if you are able to use last year's sacks, you will still need to pay the annual fee. If you choose to purchase a bin you will be charged for the bin plus an annual service fee the first year and the annual service fee alone for subsequent years.
- How do I prevent my empty sacks from blowing away?
Please leave a weighted object out so that it can be put on the empty sacks to stop them blowing away. Alternatively, you could buy one of the brown bins.
- How do I order a replacement bin or sack?
Replacement sacks can be ordered online if they are worn out, go missing or are stolen. Of if your bin goes missing, is damaged or stolen you can order a replacement online.
- What happens to my collection service if I move home?
If you move within the borough, you can transfer the service to your new address. If you move out of the borough, you can transfer the service to another resident, please note your collection week/day may change. Please allow ten working days for us to make the change.
- What can be put in my garden waste bin or sacks?
All the following can be put in your bin or sacks
- grass cuttings
- cut flowers
- hedge trimmings
- grass cuttings
- Will the crews collect additional garden waste if my bin/sacks are full?
No, only official Basingstoke and Deane Borough Council bins and sacks will be emptied.
How can I sign up?
You can sign up at any time by clicking on the link below.
Please note that if you order a bin and want your collections to start in early February, please sign up before Monday 7 January 2019 to allow time for your bin to be delivered.
Alternatively you can:
- Call 01256 844844, select option 4, where we will be able to take your order and payment by credit or debit card.
- Pay by cash, cheque, credit or debit card using the self-service kiosk at the Civic Offices London Road, Basingstoke, RG21 4AH; cheques should be made payable to Basingstoke and Deane Borough Council.
If you have an enquiry about recycling, send a message to the Waste and Recycling Team