Garden waste collection service
New subscriptions to our garden waste service are now available, but please note it will take at least 25 working days for collections to start and bins/bags to be delivered where requested.
What does the service offer?
- The service operates all year, only stopping for two weeks over Christmas/New Year (Monday 21 December 2020 to Friday 1 January 2021). Collections will resume the week beginning Monday 11 January 2021.
- There are 25 fortnightly collections per year.
- The option of having a 240 litre wheeled bin (see below for pricing).
- Free collection of real Christmas trees.
- Your subscription is valid for 12 months from the date you join, you can join the service at any time of the year.
- Reminders to renew your subscription will be sent in advance of your renewal date.
How much does the service cost?
|Container type||Total capacity (litre)||Annual service charge||Container cost
(one off charge)
|Re-useable sacks (x2)||180||£48.41||Free||£48.41|
|Additional sacks (each)||90||£24.21||Free||£72.62
The cost of this service is non-refundable.
On your collection day, please ensure
- your bins and/or bags are out by 7am. Please do not use bin liners in your bin.
- your bin is displaying clearly your house name and/or number, without this your bin may not be collected as crews need to identify that you subscribe to the service. We can send you bin stickers to write your property number on, just complete a bin sticker form and we'll post them to you.
Frequently asked questions
- I already have a garden waste bin/sacks, when will my collection start if I sign up?
We need to extend our process for garden waste sign ups. Your collections will start on your closest collection day, 20 working days after you sign up. We appreciate that this may be frustrating, however it has been a necessary temporary change to allow new sign ups to be taken.
- Can I change the number of bins/sacks I am currently signed up for?
You will be able to change the number of bins/sacks on your subscription. If you need to order bins/sacks please be aware that we may be experiencing high demand and therefore delivery may take longer than usual. Please call 01256 844844.
- Will you take excess garden waste?
No, we only empty the containers you have paid to use as the rounds/vehicles only have enough capacity for these.
If you currently use sacks, exchanging two sacks for a wheeled bin for garden waste will give you an extra 60 litres of capacity for the same subscription fee. You will need to purchase the bin.
- My sacks are heavy, will you still take them?
Sacks must not weigh more than 20kg. As per our health and safety guidance, collection staff will leave sacks that are too heavy.
- When is my collection day?
You will be notified by email or post.
- Where should I put my bin/sacks for collection?
Bins and/or sacks should be left for collection at the nearest point to the public highway (pavement or road) accessible by the collection vehicle. This could be at the end of your path or shared drive.
- What time do I need to put my bin/sacks out for collection?
Your bin/sacks should be ready for collection by 7am.
- Can I continue to use my sacks even if I have purchased a bin?
If you have paid for a bin only service we won't empty any sacks that are put out for collection.
- What if my collection day falls on a bank holiday?
Collection days remain the same throughout the year and will not change on bank holidays - including Good Friday and Easter Monday.
- My bin/sack was not emptied, why was this?
There are a number of reasons for this:
Collection crews will not return for bins and/or sacks that were:
- Presented for collection after 7am.
- Presented in the wrong location.
- Sacks over the specified weight of 20 kg.
- Contaminated with incorrect waste.
- Contains items other than listed in 'what can be put in my garden waste bin or sacks' below.
- Not official bins or sacks.
Your subscription may have expired, please ensure you renew your subscription when we send you a reminder.
Collection crews will only collect the number of bins and/or sacks you have paid for.
Frozen garden waste – our crews will use a tool and attempt to empty bins where contents are frozen. Failing this they will return to try and empty again. Please help our crews by making sure your garden waste is not compacted. Moving your bin to a sunny spot on the kerbside may also help.
Under exceptional circumstances (adverse weather, access issues, unplanned road closures or any other unforeseen circumstances) where garden waste cannot be collected information will be posted on our website.
- Presented for collection after 7am.
- What happens is my bin or sacks were left out by 7am, but were not collected?
If your bin or sacks are not collected, please report a missed collection online.
- I am a returning customer, do I need to pay if I still have my bin/sack?
Yes, the annual fee covers the cost of 25 fortnightly collections. Even if you are able to use last year's sacks, you will still need to pay the annual fee. If you choose to purchase a bin you will be charged for the bin plus an annual service fee the first year and the annual service fee alone for subsequent years.
- How do I prevent my empty sacks from blowing away?
Please leave a weighted object out so that it can be put on the empty sacks to stop them blowing away. Alternatively, you could buy one of the brown bins.
- How do I order a replacement bin or sack?
Replacement sacks can be ordered online if they are worn out, go missing or are stolen. Of if your bin goes missing, is damaged or stolen you can order a replacement online
- What happens to my collection service if I move home?
If you move within the borough, you can transfer the service to your new address. If you move out of the borough, you can transfer the service to another resident, please note your collection week/day may change. Please allow ten working days for us to make the change.
- What can be put in my garden waste bin/sack?
All the following can be put in your bin or sacks
- grass cuttings
- cut flowers
- hedge trimmings
- grass cuttings
- How do I recycle my real Christmas tree?
Garden waste customers can leave real Christmas trees out for collection next to their garden waste containers. Trees over 6 ft should be cut in half and all decorations should be removed.
- Can I use bin liners in my bin?
No, please do not use bin liners in your bin.
Please note if your bin goes missing, is damaged or stolen, you will need to purchase a replacement
Replacement 240 litre garden waste (brown) bin will be provided at a cost of £29.71.
If you have an enquiry about recycling, send a message to the Waste and Recycling Team