Council Plan 2020 to 2024 and Medium Term Financial Strategy and Budget Update 2022/23 to 2025/26
Overview of Council Plan
The Council Plan sets out the council’s priorities to ensure the borough continues to be a great place to live, providing opportunities for everyone that lives and works here.
The Council Plan for 2020 to 2024 will focus on these four priorities:
- Strengthening communities
- Protecting and enhancing our environment
- Improving safety
- Planning for the future
This is a key document for the council and the plan will be delivered through the council’s budget for 2021 to 2025.
A residents’ survey undertaken in 2019 showed that residents are positive about living in Basingstoke and Deane, there are high levels of satisfaction with the council and the vast majority of residents agreed with the priorities in the Council Plan.
Overview of Medium Term Financial Strategy and Budget Update
The budget sets out how we plan to use our resources to support the priorities of the emerging Council Plan.
Our focus is to lay strong foundations that will shape the way the borough grows over the next 25 to 30 years and deliver opportunities for all communities. We aim to ensure residents and future generations continue to enjoy an excellent quality of life and environment, which good planning can secure.
With a funding gap of £1.22 million predicted in 2025 to 2026, the context in which we are working to deliver our priorities is challenging:
- Central government is expecting local councils to be more self-sufficient in the way they fund services for residents.
- Government funding reductions also affect Hampshire County Council, which has recently identified significant savings measures likely to impact the borough council provision.
- Interest rates are at an all-time low, affecting the return achieved on our investments, yet demands for services continue to grow.
- Just doing the same costs more.
A balanced budget will ensure we are in a good financial position so we can protect front line services, look after the borough’s assets, give vulnerable people the help they need, invest in shaping the way the future grows and transform our services through the use of new technology to support the borough’s digital future.
The updated Council Plan 2020 to 2024 and Medium Term Financial Strategy and Budget Update 2022/23 to 2025/26 were adopted by council on 28 February 2022. These documents can be seen below.
A public consultation was held from 10 November 2021 until 2 January 2022 and a summary of the results is provided below alongside a summary of the residents’ survey results.